The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 1 °C Wednesday 17 January, 2018
Advertisement

Chelsea boss Conte charged with misconduct after sending off against Swansea

The Italian is facing a ban and a fine in the wake of Wednesday’s win at Stamford Bridge.

Conte was sent to the stands.
Conte was sent to the stands.
Image: Simon Cooper/EMPICS Sport

CHELSEA MANAGER ANTNIO Conte has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association after his dismissal in last night’s match with Swansea City.

The former Italy head coach was sent from the dugout by referee Neil Swarbrick in the 43rd minute of the champions’ 1-0 victory at Stamford Bridge.

He has been given until 6pm on 5 December to respond to the charge.

Conte reacted furiously to the decision not to give his side a corner during the first half of the game and shouted in the face of fourth official Lee Mason, as well as Swarbrick.

The 48-year-old, who apologised after the match for his behaviour, also explained he had been frustrated by what he considered to be time-wasting tactics from the visitors.

“During the game, in the first half, I saw that Swansea were wasting time,” he said. “I said this a few times to the fourth official.

“At the same time, I didn’t see something change in the first half. I was frustrated for this situation. I tried to tell again, but then the referee took this decision.

I repeat: I apologise for this. I was frustrated. For sure I made a mistake. During the game I suffer. With my players I suffer. It’s a pity.

“They are wasting time. I was a bit animated. I said this and I shout this. It was not the first time. I think for this reason the fourth official lost his patience. But I repeat, the fault was mine, not the fourth official’s. I apologise for this. I was frustrated.”

Antonio Rudiger’s goal 10 minutes into the second half secured the win for Chelsea and kept them third in the Premier League table, 11 points behind leaders Manchester City.

The42 has just published its first book, Behind The Lines, a collection of some of the year’s best sports stories. Pick up your copy in Eason’s, or order it here today (€10):

Everton confirm Sam Allardyce as new manager

‘Thank you to the people that write this story… it’s more publicity for my book’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel