EDDIE O’SULLIVAN’S BIARRITZ have pulled off two coups in the transfer market by adding Rod Davies and Bryn Evans to their squad ahead of the 2014/15 Pro D2 season.
25-year-old wing Davies will join from the Queensland Reds, where he has scored 18 tries in the last five Super Rugby seasons. ‘The Rocket’ has won one cap for Australia, starting against Samoa in 2011.
It is understood that Davies has been angling for a move to France for some months now, although his intention was to play in the Top 14.
O’Sullivan and Biarritz president Serge Blanco have convinced the lightning-quick wing to drop into the Pro D2 on a two-year deal and help the club to earn promotion back into the top flight.
29-year-old Evans joins from London Irish, having previously had spells with the Hurricanes and Blues in Super Rugby. The 6ft 5ins, 115kg second row has two caps for New Zealand, both of which came against France in 2009.
Evans switched to the Exiles in 2011, where he has played Heineken Cup, Challenge Cup and Premiership rugby. The Kiwi has signed a one-year contract with Biarritz.Source: weskimaster/YouTube
Biarritz have also recently confirmed the additions of the following players to their squad for next season:
- Former Brumbies hooker Elvis Levi
- Scotland international centre Nick de Luca
- France-capped prop Franck Montanella
- Natal Sharks second row Edwin Hewitt
- France-capped hooker Benjamin Noirot
- Former Bath wing Jacques Boussuge
- France U20 interational fullback Kylan Hamdaoui
- Top 14-proven scrum-half Kevin Boulogne
- 123kg former France U20 international prop Stéphane Clément
- Ex-Toulon centre Clément Marienval
- Powerful Tongan back row Ikapoté Fono
- U20 international out-half Yohan Le Bourhis
- Former France U21 international prop Laurent Cabarry
On a more negative note, L’Équipe are reporting that 34-year-old back-row Imanol Harinordoquy has turned down the chance to stay with Biarritz and will instead join Top 14 side Toulouse.