MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER David Moyes has dropped a hint he could make a future bid to bring Cristiano Ronaldo back to Old Trafford after revealing he hopes to work with the Portugal star one day.
Ronaldo left United to fulfil his dream of playing for Real Madrid in 2009, but there was speculation over the last year that he could be tempted to return to Manchester.
Moyes was reported to have considered making an offer for the 28-year-old earlier this year as he looked for a marquee signing to mark his arrival at United as Alex Ferguson’s successor.
No deal was forthcoming and Ronaldo has since signed a new five-year contract with the Spanish giants. But Moyes remains a huge fan of Ronaldo and, like the rest of the football world, he watched in awe as the forward hit a hat-trick against Sweden on Tuesday to fire Portugal to the World Cup
Ronaldo, who won the Champions League and three Premier League titles in six years with United, would be hard to prise away from Madrid, but Moyes is not giving up completely.
“Everyone at Manchester United would tell you he is the best in the business anyway,” Moyes told MUTV on Friday.
“I have not been fortunate enough to work with him but there is still hope some day it might be possible.”
With FIFA extending the voting period for the coveted Ballon d’Or prize, it seems certain Ronaldo will claim an award he won for the first time as a United player in the 2008 Champions League campaign, when he scored an incredible 42 goals.
United midfielder Anderson, who played alongside Ronaldo for two seasons, is in no doubts his old team-mate deserves the prize.
“When you have Ronaldo it makes it easy,” he said. “He scores all the time. He scored three goals on Tuesday. He is an amazing player, for me the best player in the world.”