The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 3 °C Thursday 18 January, 2018
Advertisement

McGregor has every intention of fighting in 2018 — as long as the price is right

“Potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere.”

Conor McGregor with Lewis Hamilton and Donatella Versace at the 2017 Fashion Awards in London this week.
Conor McGregor with Lewis Hamilton and Donatella Versace at the 2017 Fashion Awards in London this week.
Image: Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment

CONOR McGREGOR IS eager to get his next fight lined up, but the reigning UFC lightweight champion insists he’ll only return when a favourable financial deal is struck.

UFC president Dana White claimed recently that McGregor might never fight again, while the Dubliner has said previously that he plans to negotiate improved terms before getting back into the octagon.

Aside from his 10th-round TKO defeat to Floyd Mayweather in his professional boxing debut in August, McGregor hasn’t fought since dethroning Eddie Alvarez as UFC lightweight champion at Madison Square Garden in November 2016.

“My focus is getting back into the right ring or octagon. 2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing,” McGregor said as part of a commercial deal with Betsafe.

The 29-year-old, who spent this week in London where he attended the 2017 Fashion Awards, has hit the headlines recently for a number of controversial out-of-the-cage incidents.

For his potential return to mixed martial arts, the Straight Blast Gym star has been linked to fights against interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson, two-time foe Nate Diaz and reigning featherweight champion Max Holloway.

He added: “At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game, or whatever the next business endeavour might be.

“I have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavours accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”

The shortest title reign in UFC history is over and there’s a new undisputed champion

UFC star makes dream come true for young man with Down syndrome

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (61)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel