The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 14 °C Saturday 23 September, 2017
Advertisement

Michael Conlan could fight in Australia this summer on undercard of Pacquiao's title defence

The bout would take place in Brisbane in July.

Michael Conlan celebrates his win against Tim Ibarra.
Michael Conlan celebrates his win against Tim Ibarra.
Image: Tom Hogan/INPHO

TOP RANK PRESIDENT Todd duBoef has admitted he is keen to install Michael Conlan on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao’s world-title defence in Australia once the Belfast native comes through his second pro bout next month.

Conlan’s promoters are finalising details for a 26 May date in Chicago and a July bout Down Under after scrapping plans for a mooted fight in Boston next month.

The 9,500-capacity UIC Pavilion – on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago – is likely to host Conlan’s second six-round bout, which will be held above the super-bantamweight limit, with an opponent likely to be confirmed within the next week.

“Staying active is one of the things I asked for when I did turn over,” said Conlan ahead of what looks likely to be a busy summer schedule.

“I was probably hoping to get out again sooner, but it’s still only a few weeks after my last fight and I’ll be flying when the day comes,” added the 25-year-old, who is awaiting confirmation on a support slot to Pacquiao’s WBO world welterweight title defence against Australian Jeff Horne in Brisbane on July 2.

Top Rank president Todd duBoef explained: “Yeah, obviously it’s one thing at a time and that’s definitely a big possibility.

“There’s a large Irish community down there [in Australia] and we’d like to use that as a platform,” he added.

Conlan is confident that victory in his headline bout in Chicago next month will lead him Down Under for a his third pro bout five weeks later.

“As long as this one goes injury-free, I’m there,” said the Belfast native on Top Rank’s plans to have him fight on the Pacquiao bill.

“One hundred per cent, that’s the plan and that’s the aim. I know they [the promoters] want me there with all the Irish they want me there.

“I’ll get this [Chicago] one out of the way nice and quick and get over to Australia,” added the 25-year-old, who had been slated for a Boston ring date in mid-May before Top Rank shifted their focus to Boston.

World amateur champion Conlan recorded a third-round stoppage victory over US journeyman Tim Ibarra on his St Patrick’s Day pro debut in New York.

The 25-year-old attracted a sell-out crowd to Madison Square Garden’s Theater (US spelling) for his paid debut when UFC star Conor McGregor walked Conlan to the ring.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

‘That was beautiful work’: McGregor ringside as Michael Conlan delivers first professional win

‘Iconic venue, big crowd – it would be incredible’ – Katie enthused by prospect of US bout this summer

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel