NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- Pepe was (predictably enough) sent off as Germany tore Portugal apart in Group G.
- Spain’s goalkeeping problem has no easy solution. David De Gea has been ruled out of their next two games.
- Croatia have issued a media ban in protest at some pictures of their players skinny-dipping in the hotel pool were published.
- Royal Portrush has been confirmed as a venue for The Open Championship, but no year has been set for the major to visit Northern Ireland.
- Connacht have finalised their squad for next season, by promoting another talented club player to the pro ranks.
- JJ Hanrahan will start for Emerging Ireland when they take on Uruguay this week. Here’s the full line-up.
- Davy Fitzgerald reckons it’s impossible to play both hurling and football.
- Not a great day at the office for leading Irish tennis players James McGee and Louk Sorensen.
- Southampton have appointed Ronald Koeman as their new head coach to replace Mauricio Pochettino.
- Speaking of Spurs, San Antonio are your new NBA Champions after completing their finals victory over the Miami Heat last night.
- Michael Schumacher is out of his coma and out of his Grenoble hospital.
The Best thing we shared
What with all the dehydration and physios going down injured, we missed this bit of England’s defeat to Italy.
After Andrea Pirlo’s sublime free kick landed half an inch too high to ripple the net, Joe Hart wanted the ball back…. no, he really, really, really wanted the ball back.
Source: Paolo Colombo/YouTube
Where we were today
On the record
“Mash it up, son.”
- Daniel Sturridge’s mother gave him this sage advice before he took to the field against Italy.
The Fixture List
Tonight, Ghana take on the US of A hoping to keep pace with Germany in Group G (11pm).
And by tomorrow we’ll have seen all 32 teams at the World Cup as Belgium take on Algeria (5pm) and Russia meet South Korea (11pm) either side of Mexico’s date with Brazil (8pm).
Ronaldo gets a sadface from RiRi, so his day wasn’t all bad.
“Some might even say, it’s Müller-time.”