NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
Source: Fernando Vergara
- Holland had their work cut out against Australia in Group B before winning 3-2 after a thrilling match.
- Chile’s fans stormed the media centre at the Maracana before their game with Spain tonight.
- Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa may be out of contract but he put himself in the shop window by keeping Brazil scoreless last night.
- A bit of World Cup nostalgia – it’s 20 years since Ireland shocked Italy at the Giants Stadium. We caught up with some of the people who made that famous day happen.
Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
- Rory McIlroy has nailed his colours to the mast and he’s going to represent Ireland at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
- McIlroy is in Fota Island for the Irish Open which starts tomorrow and he’ll be playing with Padraig Harrington for the opening two rounds. Today’s Pro-Am saw GAA stars Anthony Nash and Davy Fitzgerald swap hurleys for golf clubs.
- Emerging Ireland went try-crazy in today’s 51-3 win over Uruguay in the IRB Nations Cup.
- Cavan footballer David Givney has transferred to Dublin club Ballymun Kickhams.
- Five changes for the Irish U20 rugby side for Friday’s third place play-off against New Zealand.
- Mick O’Dwyer is keeping the faith in Kerry and has plenty hope for their prospects in 2014.
Source: AP/Press Association Images
- Get out your diary Premier League fans, the 2014-15 fixtures schedule was announced today.
- A bridge named after the late, great Jim Stynes was opened in Melbourne today.
- Eddie O’Sullivan has moved to get a replacement for Imanol Harinordoquy at Biarritz.
- France want to avoid a whitewash against Australia this weekend and Philippe Saint-André has made two changes as a result.
The best thing we shared
Everyone’s jumping on the World Cup bandwagon but one Waterford club won’t stand for any excuses for missing training.
Where we were today
Our man in Brazil, Mikey Stafford, has been hanging out with the locals.
While we also caught up with Sean Cavanagh and Shane O’Neill as PWC and the GPA announced a new partnership.
Source: James Crombie/INPHO
The fixture list
Tonight’s late game in the World Cup is Croatia against Cameroon in Manaus at 11pm in Group A. Tomorrow the big one is in Sáo Paulo with England trying to get things back on track when they play Uruguay in Group D.
Colombia take on Ivory Coast in Group C in Brasília at 5pm and later in the same group at 11pm, it’s Japan against Greece.
We can’t stop watching this worldie today from Tim Cahill. That’s the end of the goal of the tournament race.
“He lives a lonely life”