This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Sunday 21 October, 2018
Advertisement

'We really want to keep him': Rassie on reports linking Zebo with a move to France

The Ireland international faces a decision over his future this summer.

Image: Bryan Keane/INPHO

RASSIE ERASMUS SAYS Munster have offered Simon Zebo ‘a really competitive offer’ amid further speculation linking him with a move to French club Pau.

The Ireland international has previously rejected the interest of Top 14 clubs but with his provincial contract expiring next summer, the 27-year-old is again being linked with a big-money move abroad.

Zebo, who isn’t on a central contract with the IRFU, ended speculation about his future in February 2016 when he agreed a new two-year deal with Munster following advances from Pau and at least one other French club, believed to be Stade Francais.

And when asked about Zebo’s contract situation after today’s Pro14 victory over the Cardiff Blues, Erasmus says it is now up the winger/fullback to make a decision.

“We really want to keep him. At this stage he is the guy to make that decision,” he told RTÉ Sport.

“There are so many things that players are talking to other clubs, some of it gets to the media, some of it doesn’t. Obviously it got to the media about Simon.

“We made him a really competitive offer. If I was him, it is would certainly be an offer I would really consider.

“We really want to keep him. At this stage he is the guy to make that decision.”

Erasmus, meanwhile, was pleased with his team’s performance as they produced a powerful second half display to see off the Blues at Thomond Park and bounce back from last week’s humiliating defeat to Glasgow.

Tries from Conor Murray, John Ryan, Robin Copeland and a brace from JJ Hanrahan on his return to Thomond Park means Munster head into next week’s interpro derby against Leinster in good stead.

“It takes a while for them [returning internationals] to get in sync with what we have been trying to do the last few months,” the director of rugby continued.

“The guys recognised where the problems were at half-time and they changed it in the second half. That’s a positive.

“We’ve played many games in the last 14 months where we didn’t capitalise when teams have 14 men, so it was great to do that.”

Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

Ulster’s winning start to the season unravels against Bradley’s bold Zebre

Hanrahan back with a bang to hand Munster bonus point win

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Ryan Bailey

Read next:

COMMENTS (26)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel