NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- Ireland number one James McGee has qualified for the main draw of the US Open after defeating China’s Zhang Ze 0-6, 6-4, 6-2.
- Racing Métro have offered Jonny Sexton a new four-year deal to stay in France.
- Ireland’s Barry Murphy finished 12th in the 50m breaststroke semi-final at the European Championships in Berlin meaning he just misses out on the final.
- Mayo manager James Horan has kept faith with the same XV for Sunday’s All-Ireland senior football semi-final against Kerry.
- WNL side Raheny United have been drawn with Bristol Academy in the last-32 of the Champions League after their heroics in Romania earlier this month.
- Rory McIlroy has admitted that he was under-prepared going into The Barclays, where he carded a first round 74 yesterday.
- Former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay has apologised for his “unacceptable” behaviour and insists that he is not a racist after his controversial text messages withIain Moody were published yesterday.
- Read our five talking points ahead of week 2 of the Rugby Championship.
The best thing we shared
Another day, another ice bucket challenge. This time it’s Ireland and Aston Villa assistant Roy Keane, who tries to play it cool after nominating Martin O’Neill.
On the Record
He’s not a murderer, he’s not a rapist and he’s not a paedophile. It shouldn’t finish his life. People get second chances in life. He’s made a mistake but we’re not going to hang him for it are we? Hopefully he’ll learn from what he’s done.” – QPR boss Harry Redknapp on Malky Mackay’s racist text messages.
The fixture list
- All six of tonight’s FAI Cup matches are underway. We’ll have reports from the games later this evening.
- It’s Clare v Antrim (4pm) and Galway v Wexford (6pm) in the All-Ireland U21 championship semi-finals tomorrow.
- Tomorrow, there are six Premier League fixtures beginning with Aston Villa v Newcastle at 12.45pm.
- New Zealand play Australia while Argentina take on South Africa tomorrow in the Rugby Championship.
Ireland and Leinster rugby star Cian Healy mimes Bonnie Tyler’s classic’ Total Eciplse of the Heart’ wearing a robe and blonde wig. Here’s why.
Can we have an ice bucket challenge mini-site?”