St Colman’s Fermoy 3-12
Christian Brothers College 1-12
Denis Hurley reports from Church Road, Blackrock
THREE first-half goals helped Fermoy’s St Colman’s College to reach a second successive Dr Harty Cup semi-final this afternoon as they defeated Christian Brothers College Cork.
While CBC won the toss, they elected to play against the considerable breeze in the first half and by half-time they trailed by 3-7 to 0-1.
Though they were able to eat into the lead in the second half, the goals always allowed Colman’s a cushion and by the time Christian did raise a green flag, through centre-back Eoin Moloney in injury time, it was too late.
Colman’s hit the ground running with points from Diarmuid Lenihan, Barry Murphy and Jamie Sheehan before Murphy netted.
Declan O’Hanlon did get CBC off the mark with a good long-range free on 17, but Fermoy – for whom centre-back Niall O’Leary was excellent – responded with goals from Brian Roche and then Conleth Ryan to give them extra breathing space before another flurry of points finished out the half.
On the resumption, Tommy O’Connell’s dead-ball accuracy allowed CBC a way back into the game, with O’Hanlon also prominent as Colman’s struggled to augment their tally. Goal chances remained hard to come by, however.
With the scores 3-10 to 0-11 on 53, sub Jamie Corkery went closest, but his effort was from too tight an angle and it went across goal.
Lenihan and Murphy eased Colman’s clear again and though Moloney had the final say with a CBC goal, the Fermoy school weren’t going to be denied.
Scorers for St Colman’s College: Barry Murphy 1-3, Brian Roche 1-2, Diarmuid Lenihan 0-4 (frees), Jamie Sheehan 0-3, Conleth Ryan 1-0.
Scorers for CBC: Tommy O’Connell 0-5 (frees), Declan O’Hanlon 0-4, Eoin Moloney 1-0, Jack Twomey, Denis McBarron, Jamie Corkery 0-1 each.
St Colman’s Fermoy
1. Eoin Davis (St Catherine’s)
2. Eoin Wallace (St Catherine’s)
3. Jamie O’Leary (Castlelyons)
4. Kieran Neville (St Catherine’s)
5. Seán McCarthy (Fermoy)
6. Niall O’Leary (Castlelyons)
7. Eoin Roche (Bride Rovers)
8. Shane O’Connor (Bride Rovers)
9. Diarmuid Lenihan (Ballyhooly)
12. Jamie Sheehan (Kilworth)
14. Barry Murphy (Castlelyons)
11. David Lardner (Fermoy)
13. Conleth Ryan (Bride Rovers)
10. Brian Roche (Bride Rovers)
15. Adam Creed (Fermoy)
23. Eoin Carey (Kilworth) for Creed (48)
19. Fionnán Hickey (Ballyduff Upper, Waterford) for Lardner (55, injured)
22. Seán Kenny (Ballyduff Upper, Waterford) for Murphy (60, injured)
Christian Brothers College
1. Daithi Heffernan (Mallow)
2. Colm Barrett (St Finbarr’s)
3. Conor Power (Blarney)
4. Anthony Cronin (Glen Rovers)
5. Ben Keohane (Ballincollig)
6. Eoin Moloney (Midleton)
7. Ciarán Flynn (Na Piarsaigh)
8. Mark Walsh (Cloughduv)
15. Shane Finn (Midleton)
10. Jack Twomey (Kilshanning)
14. Declan O’Hanlon (Blarney)
12. Cormac Murphy (Na Piarsaigh)
9. Tommy O’Connell (Midleton)
11. Robert Downey (Glen Rovers)
13. Eoin McCarthy (Inniscarra)
22. Jamie Corkery (Glen Rovers) for McCarthy (36)
20. Denis McBarron (Carrigaline) for Murphy (43)
21. Cathal McNamara (Erin’s Own) for Power (51).
Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan (Éire Óg).
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!