1. SIX NATIONS Geordan Murphy is out of Ireland’s championship with a broken foot.
Murphy was hurt in the Premiership game with Northampton on Saturday. It was thought he had damaged ankle ligaments and would be out for around a month.
Confirmation he has, in fact, a broken foot is a huge blow to Ireland.
2. #KERRY The Kingdom has been left counting the heavy cost of the recent cold spell with burst pipes causing an estimated €100,000 worth of damage at Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney.
3. #SHOCK Celtic’s talented winger Paddy McCourt is said to be ‘shocked and disappointed’ by an attempt to send him bullets through the post.
The former Derry City and Shamrock Rovers man is the third Parkhead star to be targeted after Niall McGinn and the club’s manager, Neil Lennon.
4. #BIG CALL Eircom are understood to be in talks with Croke Park chiefs about replacing Vodafone as associate sponsors of the All-Ireland senior football championship, according to the Irish Examiner.
5. #BOHS It’s now clear that Brian Shelley and Steven Gray are the two players at the centre of a dispute with Bohemians that could end up in the High Court.
6. #WORLD SERIES John Joe Joyce was beaten on points in Miami last night. Kenny Egan was awarded a walkover when his opponent faield to make weight.
7. #MICHAELA Ulster Council chiefs last night postponed next Sunday’s Dr McKenna Cup tie between Tyrone and Fermanagh until after the funeral of Michaela McAreavey.
Michaela’s body will be flown home today, with her funeral taking place on Monday.
8. #SPLIT Brian Keogh reports that Rory McIlroy has thrown himself into preparing for the season after splitting up with his long-time girlfriend Holly Sweeney over the Christmas.
9. #FOOTSIE Arch rivals the New York Jets and the New England Patriots clash in a much-anticipated play-off clash this weekend.
Jets boss Rex Ryan (who was outed as an alleged foot fetishist by tabloids some time ago) has been talking trash all week.
The Pats’ jive talk is a bit more subtle. Wes Welker made 11 references to feet in his press conference yesterday.