EVERY WEEKDAY MORNING, TheScore.ie brings you the stories you need to know before 9am.
1. #AUSTRALIAN OPEN Rory McIlroy’s shoulder may be needed to soak up some tears in Melbourne as world number one and women’s top seed Caroline Wozniacki crashed out of the Australian Open this morning. The 21-year-old Dane lost 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) to defending champion Kim Clijsters in their quarter-final.
In the men’s draw, Roger Federer breezed through to the final four with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 win over Juan Martin del Potro.
2. #ON THE MOVE Cavan footballer Seanie Johnston is expected to complete a move to Kildare after filing an official transfer request, according to reports on local radio station KFM this morning.
The forward will be eligible for the Lilywhites senior footballers as soon as his move from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin’s is approved.
3. #PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City’s favourite fire warden, Mario Balotelli, has been officially charged with violent conduct by the FA. The Italian appeared to stamp on the head of Scott Parker during his side’s 3-2 victory over the Spurs on Sunday.
While Balotelli contemplates an appeal, one of his most vocal critics, Spurs manager Harry Redknapp, is facing his own legal difficulties. Today marks the second day of the 64-year-old’s trial for tax evasion. He stands accused of colluding with former Portsmouth owner Milan Mandaric to conceal payments relating to club transfers.
4. #SIX NATIONS The managerial teams responsible for both the Irish Wolfhounds and English Saxons have made a number of provocative squad changes ahead of their clash in Exeter on Saturday.
Munster’s hat-trick hero Simon Zebo has been promoted to the Wolfhounds squad alongside Leinster wing Fionn Carr, while Six Nations veterans Matt Banahan, Delon Armitage and Ugo Monye have been named in the Saxons 25.
5. #ACN2012 Gabon and Tunisia both got their campaigns at the Africa Cup of Nations off to a winning start as Group C got underway yesterday. Goals from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Stéphane N’Guéma helped Gabon to a 2-0 win over Niger, while in the evening’s second game, Tunisia clung on for a 2-1 win against Morocco.
6. #GOLAZO Step forward Cristian Villagra, scorer of a 70-yard free for Ukranian side FC Metalist in a friendly yesterday. What? The ball was rolling when he hit it? Sssssh…
YouTube Credit: SportsRuOnlinegoals