- Andy Lee has received a big boost with the news that his WBO middleweight title defence against Billy Joe Saunders later this month will be screened live in the US.
- New heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury says he’d like a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko to take place at Croke Park.
- The GAA have launched a new underage hurling initiative – The Celtic Challenge – which will see 16 and 17-year-olds taking part.
- Former minor and U21 manager John Hardiman has emerged as the front-runner to succeed Anthony Cunningham as senior Galway hurling boss.
- CJ Stander has signed a new two-year deal with Munster and ensures he’ll remain with the province until at least June 2018.
- The FAI have revealed that League of Irelandattendances increased by almost 10% last season, with Dundalk and Cork City recording average attendances of over 3,000.
- Antrim’s Norman Parkehas been booked for UFC London, which takes place in February next year.
- Jonah Lomu‘s family said their final farewells to one of the true greats at a private funeral in Auckland.
- There were no failed drug tests at this year’s Rugby World Cup, according to the sport’s governing body.
- Welsh scrum-half Mike Phillips has announced his retirement from international rugby at the age of 33.
- Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has rubbished reports suggesting he’s unhappy at the club and is set for showdown talks with Louis van Gaal.
- Manchester City have received a whopping investment of £377m from a Chinese consortium as the club’s plans for global reach continues.
The Best Thing We Shared
Jamie Vardy was scoring remarkable goals against United as far back as 2009. Now, it was FC United of Manchester but still…
Where We Were Today
We popped down to GAA HQ to hear the organisation’s new and exciting development plans for hurling.
On The Record
I don’t remember much about doing it. I did think about it for a long time. I thought about it for a week or two before I attempted it. I got home one Sunday evening and I took an overdose.I texted my sister after taking it, around an hour later. I texted her because I thought, by the time she came that I would have been gone. I didn’t want my parents walking in to find me dead in the bed. I wanted her to come in and see it first.
It would’ve been very hard on her to get that text. She was away doing something that night. When she got that text, it was unbelievable what I put her and all my family through.”
Waterford hurler Maurice Shanahan spoke to WLR FM about his attempts to end his life and his battle with depression.
The Fixture List
The Capital One Cup serves up Southampton v Liverpool on Wednesday night. Kick-off at St. Mary’s is at 7.45.
The countdown is really ramping up to UFC 194 and our man Paul Dollery will be in Las Vegas to bring readers all the very latest throughout next week.
Now, it may not be the MGM Grand but he had to make do with the Setanta Sports studios earlier today, recording a special countdown show alongside some big hitters.