NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- Uruguay advanced to the second round at the expense of Italy, England regained some pride with a draw against Costa Rica and Luis Suarez was alleged to have bitten Giorgio Chiellini
- Greece take on Ivory Coast and Japan meet Colombia in tonight’s 9pm kick-offs — with the Colombians already through, all other teams still have a chance to qualify.
- Jordi Alba wasn’t in the best of moods after his side’s final game with Australia — he reportedly threatened to rip a Spanish journalist’s head off.
- Kilkenny’s Richie Power has been ruled out through injury until “at least” the All-Ireland semi-final.
- Young Ireland under-20 star Peter Robb and four others have been recruited to the Connacht academy.
- Yaya Toure has criticised Man City for not giving him days off to visit his dying brother.
- US basketball star Lebron James is leaving Miami Heat to become a free agent.
- Richie McCaw will miss the Super XV run-in after suffering a broken rib.
On the record
Liam Brady on Luis Suarez: “I think [Suarez] should get longer than he did back after the [Ivanovic bite]. Then he should be taken to the dentist and have his teeth extracted.”
The best thing we shared
On Lionel Messi’s 27th birthday, here are 50 of his best goals.
Where we were today
Our man in Brazil, Mikey Stafford, reported from his base in Recife.
“The city of Recife was built on land reclaimed from the sea by Dutch settlers in the 17th century and became the capital of the short-lived but mind-bogglingly profitable colony of Nieuw Holland.
“The state of Pernambuco, rich with coffee and Brazilwood, was always coveted by European settlers and, as the port on the most easterly point of this giant country, Recife expanded to meet the needs of the Dutch.”
The fixture list
Japan take on Colombia and Greece face Ivory Coast later in Group C of the World Cup this evening.
- Tomorrow, in the 5pm games, Bosnia play Iran and Nigeria take on Argentina in Group F.
- Meanwhile, France face Ecuador and Hoduras are up against Switzerland in Group E at 9pm.
- Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Caroline Wozniacki are all in action on Day 3 of Wimbledon.
Niall Horan has been practising his kicking with Jonny Sexton and Ronan O’Gara.
“Chiellini has a bit of a chip on his shoulder!”