This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Tuesday 20 November, 2018
Advertisement

A member of Ireland's squad to face the Baa-Baas is leaving Leinster for Connacht

Pat Lam has secured the services of the versatile forward.

Ben Marshall is Connacht-bound.
Ben Marshall is Connacht-bound.
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

CONNACHT HAVE ADDED to their options up front with the recruitment of Ben Marshall from Leinster.

The province have confirmed that Marshall, who can play in both the second-row and back-row, will join them next season having made 20 appearances for Leinster, where he was a graduate of the province’s academy.

“The opportunity to join Connacht is one that I am very much looking forward to,” said Marshall. “The ambition excites me and I can’t wait to get started and to add to the mix. They have a good selection of second-rows already but I look forward to putting my hand up for selection.

“I played in The Sportsground a few years back and it’s not unlike the RDS Arena in many ways. The supporters are right on the pitch and it makes for a brilliant atmosphere. I’m looking forward to running out there and having them with me for a change.”

Marshall played 10 times for Leinster this season and featured as a substitute in last month’s European Champions Cup semi-final against Toulon. The 24-year-old has also been named in the Ireland squad for tomorrow’s game against the Barbarians.

Connacht head coach Pat Lam said: “It’s great to have someone with Ben’s versatility joining our squad next season. He is a young player whose talent has already been recognised internationally, as highlighted by his inclusion in the Ireland squad for this week’s game against the Barbarians, and also the Emerging Ireland squad.

“I have no doubt that he will fit in well within our culture and make the most of the opportunity to continue his growth and compete for a starting spot up front.”

Wales have lost one of their key players for the Rugby World Cup

Here’s the alleged headbutt that could see Dylan Hartley miss the Rugby World Cup

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Paul Dollery

Read next:

COMMENTS (11)