THE IRISH PROVINCES make up almost half of the entries for this year’s Champions Cup Try of the Season award.
Five of the 11 nominees come from Connacht, Munster and Leinster with Niyi Adeolokun, Tyler Bleyendaal, Jamison Gibson-Park, Francis Saili and Garry Ringrose included on the shortlist.
Connacht wing Adeolokun’s effort against Toulouse in Round 1 of the group stages earned plenty of admirers, the Ireland international eventually finishing off a remarkable team move that began from a lineout steal on the province’s 22.
Kiwi trio Bleyendaal, Gibson-Park and Saili also made the cut for their efforts in the group stages — Bleyendaal’s determined effort in a Round 2 Munster win against Glasgow, Leinster scrum-half Gibson-Park for a superb solo score against Northampton in Round 3, and Munster centre Saili for his emphatic finish in the corner against Glasgow in Round 5.
Francis SailiSource: Sports Scene/YouTube
Ringrose’s stunning run home from his own 10-metre line during Leinster’s semi-final defeat to Clermont Auvergne completes the entries from the Irish provinces.
Garry RingroseSource: Rugby XV/YouTube
You can see all of the tries on the Champions Cup website, where you can also vote for your favourite.
- Dan Robson (Wasps) – Round 1
- Niyi Adeolokun (Connacht) – Round 1
- Tyler Bleyendaal (Munster) – Round 2
- Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) – Round 3
- Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – Round 4
- Francis Saili (Munster) – Round 5
- Athur Bonneval (Toulouse) – Round 6
- Peceli Yato (ASM Clermont Auvergne) – Semi-final
- Garry Ringrose (Leinster) – Semi-final
- Nick Adendanon (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
- Chris Ashton (Saracens)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!