This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 7 °C Sunday 24 March, 2019

Waterford's Conor Gleeson banned, and will miss the All-Ireland final

Déise midfielder was sent off for striking Patrick Horgan.

Gleeson: sent off against Cork.
Gleeson: sent off against Cork.
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

WATERFORD MUST NOW decide whether to take Conor Gleeson’s case to the Central Appeals Committee after he was handed a one-match ban last night – ruling him out of the All-Ireland hurling final.

The Déise midfielder was sent off for striking Patrick Horgan in the closing minutes of the semi-final win against Cork.

Gleeson’s case was heard by the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) and they found him guilty of “striking with a hurley with minimal force” in the flare-up, which also saw Horgan shown to the line.

County board chiefs must now decide whether they want to risk another drawn-out disciplinary saga ahead of their showdown with Galway on 3 September.

Tadhg de Burca’s appeal dominated the run up to the Cork game, and ultimately was not decided until less than 72 hours before throw-in when the Disputes Resolution Authority upheld the ban.

Derek McGrath’s side have already received one massive reprieve after GAA officials decided to take no action against Austin Gleeson, who risked a ban of his own for pulling the helmet off Cork’s Luke Meade.

Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

Helmet incident was ‘total accident,’ says Austin Gleeson

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Niall Kelly

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel