BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 7°C Tuesday 20 April 2021
Advertisement

Conor Murray plays down concussion concerns ahead of World Cup opener

The scrum-half was knocked out 12 days ago against England.

Conor Murray pictured today at the Marriott Hotel in Cardiff.
Conor Murray pictured today at the Marriott Hotel in Cardiff.
Image: Dan Sheridan/INPHO

CONOR MURRAY IS “feeling great and ready to go” following his concussion against England at Twickenham earlier this month.

The Munster scrum-half was knocked out in the 15th minute of the clash in London after he collided with a trailing boot from England prop Joe Marler.

Murray was replaced by Eoin Reddan and, after undergoing a head injury assessment, he did not return to the field.

Murray, however, has successfully come through the return-to-play protocols and has been named to start at half-back, alongside Jonathan Sexton, for Ireland’s World Cup opener against Canada on Saturday.

“I think I nicked just his calf. I tackled him from behind and one of his legs clipped me,” said Murray on the incident during the 21-13 defeat.

“It was quite innocuous. I passed all my HIA tests on the sidelines. The replay showed I was still for three or four seconds so they said not to risk it. But I cleared all my return-to-play protocols and I feel great. I’ve trained fully all this week.

“The same thing happened when I got my last concussion against Australia [last November]. It was a replay that showed Quade Cooper; his knee hit my head. I felt fine to continue on but they said it was too much to risk.

“Someone said I had three [concussions] in the last year, but one of those was a bang on the neck. I had a concussion test and there was no concussion in that at all. The doctors have taken all the correct measures. I feel great and ready to go.”

Conor Murray Conor Murray being put through his paces during this afternoon's training session at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff. Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO

The sight of Murray out cold on the Twickenham turf was worrying, with Joe Schmidt and the Irish management taking no chances with their prized asset.

“Even at the time I had a fair idea I just got an unlucky bang and was pretty much okay straight afterwards,” Murray added.

“It’s the precaution and you have to respect that, we’re all educated in how serious concussion is nowadays and the spotlight that’s put on it, and I have no issue with coming off like that.

“It was the right call. If I had stayed on and got another bang it could have been a lot worse, so these measures are right and I think every player is aware [of that].”

Paul O’Connell: ‘We were like a bunch of guys going on a school tour’

Schmidt hopeful Henshaw’s hamstring injury will heal before Romania

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel