This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 11 °C Saturday 19 October, 2019

Cork close gap on Dundalk with hard-fought win in Wexford

Garry Buckley’s goal separated the sides this evening.

Garry Buckley was the match winner.
Garry Buckley was the match winner.
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Wexford Youths 0
Cork City 1

CORK CITY REDUCED the gap at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division table to just six points with a hard-fought 1-0 win against Wexford Youths at Ferrycarrig Park.

Both sides had chances during the hotly-contested match but Garry Buckley’s first-half strike was enough for the points.

The teams traded chances in the opening 20 minutes. Youths keeper Graham Doyle was forced to save from City‘s Stephen Beattie, while at the other end Aidan Friel found Jonny Bonner free inside the area with a crossfield ball, but his effort on the volley drifted wide.

The home side went closer again shortly afterwards as Bonner and Paul Murphy linked up to create the chance for Danny Furlong but his curling effort struck the bottom of the post and dropped into City keeper Mark McNulty’s hands.

One minute later Cork City made their possession count as they scored what turned out to be the decisive strike.

Kevin O’Connor’s piledriver free kick from the edge of the Youths penalty box was saved by Youths keeper Doyle but City midfielder Buckley was first to the rebound to fire home.

Shane Keegan Wexford manager Shane Keegan. Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

The home side had calls for a penalty turned down 10 minutes into the second half as Chris Kenny and Michael McSweeney clashed but referee Tomas Connolly waved play on.

City defender Steven Beattie was forced into a terrific block to prevent Youths midfielder Danny Ledwith from troubling McNulty after his powerful strike on goal, while Mark O’Sullivan’s header at the other end from Ian Turner’s cross forced Doyle into a good save.

City almost sealed the points six minutes from time as Kevin O’Connor terrific free kick from the left found the head of O’Sullivan but Youths keeper Doyle pulled off a superb save. And despite some late Youths pressure, City held on to close the gap to six point on Dundalk, with one game in hand.

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle; Gary Delaney, Stephen Last, Ryan Delaney; Aidan Friel (Eric Molloy 81), Jonny Bonner, Chris Kenny (Peter Higgins 70), Shane Dunne (Andy Mulligan 81), Danny Ledwith; Paul Murphy, Danny Furlong.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Stephen Beattie, Alan Bennett, Michael McSweeney, Kevin O’Connor; Garry Buckley, Colin Healy, Gavin Holohan, Geariod Morrissey (Karl Sheppard 61); Mark O’Sullivan, Danny Morrissey (Ian Turner 74).

Referee: Tomas Connolly.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Somebody has finally hit Adebayo Akinfenwa up on WhatsApp

Irish goalkeeper Colin Doyle is joining Bradford for just £1

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Brendan White

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel