This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 9 °C Saturday 15 December, 2018

Delightful Dunne propels Wexford to win over Waterford in dream return to Division 1A

David Dunne finished with 2-2 at Walsh Park.

Dunne in action against Conor Gleeson of Waterford.
Dunne in action against Conor Gleeson of Waterford.
Image: Ken Sutton/INPHO

Wexford 2-20

Waterford 0-19

By Tomás McCarthy at Walsh Park

FULL-FORWARD DAVID Dunne pounced for 2-2 in the second half as Wexford pulled off an emphatic victory against Waterford at a packed Walsh Park this afternoon.

In blustery conditions, Davy Fitzgerald’s charges led from beginning to end and clearly benefitted from their Walsh Cup exertions. Economical long distance shooting built a six point halfway lead and they never looked back after Dunne stung the net on 44 minutes. Free taker Lee Chin compiled eight points from centre-forward while goalkeeper Mark Fanning hit three wind assisted efforts.

A rusty Waterford leant heavily on Pauric Mahony who accounted for twelve points. Centre back Tadhg De Burca was their leading light as he prompted a home recovery in the third quarter. Derek McGrath chose not to use his subs bench and the Déise face a trip to Tipperary next Saturday.

Throw-in was put back by ten minutes due to crowd congestion. Wexford exploited the breeze to storm seven points up inside the first quarter. Half back Paudie Foley clipped the opener after 49 seconds. Netminder Fanning banged over three monster frees, Chin converted two close range efforts and Kevin Foley also got in on the act.

Jake Dillon posted Waterford’s first single with 19 minutes on the clock. Five Mahony dead balls kept the home side in the hunt. Fanning repelled Stephen Bennett’s stinger from close range. Mahony obliged from the subsequent 65 to cut the deficit to five (0-9 to 0-4).

Barry Coughlan and Conor McDonald Waterford's Barry Coughlan in action against Wexford's Conor McDonald Source: Ken Sutton/INPHO

Aidan Nolan and Diarmuid O’Keeffe pushed it out to seven again. On the half hour mark, Ian O’Regan stopped Nolan’s low shot. Mahony pointed again before Kevin Foley notched his second.

The Wexford number eight registered their first wide in injury time. Mahony’s fifth conversion, following a solo burst by Austin Gleeson, left six between them at the change of ends (0-12 to 0-6).

The hosts raised the intensity on the restart. Four points on the spin closed the gap to three. An inspirational catch and point by Tadhg De Burca lifted home spirits. Mahony, Jamie Barron and Thomas Ryan were also on target.

The leaders were under siege but an opportunist goal eased the pressure. On 44 minutes, Dunne skipped past Conor Gleeson and shortened the grip to bat it over O’Regan (1-13 to 0-10).

Jennifer Malone and Jamie Barron Waterford fan Jennifer Malone hugs Jamie Barron at the end of the game. Source: Ken Sutton/INPHO

Barron floated a beautiful sideline between the sticks but Chin responded with a pair of frees. Mahony got one back for the Déise. Paul Morris and Chin extended the Wexford lead to eight.

With ten minutes remaining, the lightening quick Dunne again left the Waterford defenders for dead and O’Regan couldn’t keep out his fierce shot.

Scorers for Wexford: David Dunne 2-2, Lee Chin 0-8 (6fs), Mark Fanning 0-3 (3fs), Kevin Foley, Diarmuid O’Keeffe 0-2 each, Paudie Foley, Aidan Nolan, Paul Morris 0-1 each.

Scorers for Waterford: Pauric Mahony 0-12 (9fs, 1 65’), Jamie Barron 0-2 (1 s-l), Tadhg De Burca, Austin Gleeson, Darragh Fives, Jake Dillon, Thomas Ryan 0-1 each.


1. Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown)

4. Shaun Murphy (Oulart-The-Ballagh)
3. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
2. Damien Reck (Oylgate-Glenbrien)

7. Simon Donohue (Shemaliers)
5. Paudie Foley (Crossabeg-Ballymurn)
6. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James)

8. Kevin Foley (Rapparees)
10. Aidan Nolan (Half Way House Bunclody)

12. Jack O’Connor (St Martins)
11. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
9. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Annes)

13. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidans)
14. David Dunne (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy)
15. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna)


22. Jack Guiney (Rathnure) for Kevin Foley (61)
23. Cathal Dunbar (Ballygarrett) for Morris (66)
21. Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn) for O’Connor (72)
19. Aaron Maddock (St Martins) for Nolan (73)


1. Ian O’Regan (Mount Sion)

4. Shane McNulty (De La Salle)
3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
2. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)

9. Darragh Fives (Tourin)
5. Tadhg De Burca (Clashmore)
7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
13. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)
11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)

12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)
21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
15. Thomas Ryan (Tallow)

Referee: Sean Cleere (Kilkenny)

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Tomas McCarthy

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel