BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 3°C Thursday 26 November 2020
Advertisement

Drogba suing The Daily Mail over claims donations to his charity are being spent elsewhere

The Ivorian says “there is no fraud, no corruption” despite an article which made allegations of “serious regulatory concerns”.

Drogba with interim  Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink and owner Roman Abramovich.
Drogba with interim Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink and owner Roman Abramovich.
Image: PA Wire/Press Association Images

DIDIER DROGBA IS taking legal action against The Daily Mail newspaper after it published allegations that most of the money raised by his charity in Britain was not going to good causes.

The newspaper reported that less than one percent of over £1.7 million (€2.1 million) raised by Drogba’s charity in the past five years had gone to help children in the former Chelsea star’s homeland of Ivory Coast.

It claimed that most of the donations to the Didier Drogba Foundation had been spent on glitzy events for celebrity supporters or was sitting untouched in bank accounts.

Only £14,115 of the cash raised in Britain was reportedly spent on good causes, the paper said.

But Drogba — currently under contract with Canadian Major League Soccer team Montreal Impact — hit back, saying the report had caused an “untold amount of damage”.

Despite sending legal letters and 67 pages worth of documents advising the Daily Mail that their information was factually incorrect and libellous, they have decided to ignore the facts so I am issuing legal proceedings against them today,” the footballer said in a statement issued by his publicist in London.

“There is no fraud, no corruption, no mismanagement, no lies, no impropriety.”

The Charity Commission, Britain’s official charities watchdog, confirmed it would investigate the claims after being contacted by the Mail, saying it had “serious regulatory concerns”.

“The commission has concerns about the administration of the charity and the oversight provided by trustees, all of whom appear to live abroad, as well as allegations that the charity has provided misleading information to donors and the public,” chief operating officer David Holdsworth said.

“Further, the charity has raised and accumulated significant sums of money that have not yet been spent and further information is required over the plans to spend those funds,” he added.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Liverpool fan names his son Dejan after unbelievable comeback, Aldo completely loses it

‘One of the reasons I signed was to be involved in the derby’ – Bohs new star winger Ben Mohamed

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel