This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Wednesday 23 October, 2019
Advertisement

Gabi bitten by Torres as Deportivo doctor praises Atletico duo for quick-thinking

The midfielder was bitten by his unconscious team-mate as he tried to stop him from swallowing his tongue.

There was widespread concern for Fernando Torres after he suffered a head injury against Deportivo.
There was widespread concern for Fernando Torres after he suffered a head injury against Deportivo.

Updated at 11.58

THE DOCTOR TREATING Fernando Torres’ head injury has praised the quick reactions of his Atletico Madrid team-mates, saying Gabi was bitten by the striker as he tried to prevent him from swallowing his tongue.

The 32-year-old was at the centre of a frightening scene at the end of his side’s 1-1 draw with Deportivo when he was knocked unconscious following a collision with an opposition defender.

Torres went limp in the air and subsequently landed face-first on the turf, with his head taking much of the blow in a sickening landing that saw him smash into the ground with considerable force.

Players from both sides, including colleagues Gabi and Sime Vrsaljko, rushed to the striker’s aid before he was eventually stretchered off the pitch and taken to a nearby hospital, with the immediate reaction being described as “perfect” by Torres’ doctor.

Gabi even took a bite from Fernando when opening his mouth,” Dr Carlos Larino said. “What he and Vrsaljko did was perfect.”

Radio Marca subsequently reported that they had been told by Torres’s agent, Antonio Sanz, that the 32-year-old was conscious and talking while being taken to hospital in an ambulance.

Later, a thankful Torres allayed fears over his health and says he hopes to return to action soon.

An initial CT scan came back clear following the former Liverpool and Chelsea player’s hospitalisation.  And Torres — winner of two European Championships and the World Cup — used social media to provide an update on his health.

The Atleti favourite tweeted: “Thank you very much for worrying about me and for your messages of support. It was just a scare. I hope to be back very soon!”

He has since been discharged from hospital after tests showed he did not suffer any serious head damage.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Boost for Ireland ahead of crucial Wales qualifier as Walters declared fit>

‘I was up watching my young fella train with the U8s and all the parents are saying to me ‘Bohs this week”>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (12)