This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 13 °C Monday 10 August, 2020

Revenge on the cards? - Limerick and Kilkenny reach camogie final in Croker

The two sides had two very different semi-final clashes today in the Intermediate matches.

Claire Mulcahy takes on Lorraine Bray in Dr Cullen Park today.
Claire Mulcahy takes on Lorraine Bray in Dr Cullen Park today.
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

LIMERICK FANS WILL be back in Croke Park next month, and given the opportunity to exact some revenge on Kilkenny.

The Treaty ladies overcame Waterford in today’s All-Ireland intermediate camogie semi-final, despite a late, late showing by the Déise — they now face Kilkenny who eased past Kildare in today’s other semi-final.

Despite trailing early on and for much of the first-half in today’s first match; 0-3 to 0-0 down after 10 minutes, a quick start to the second-half proved vital in setting Limerick on their way to the final.

Waterford were in fact the better team for much of the opening half, maintaining their three-point advantage right up to the interval when they led 0-6 to 0-3.

Former Young Player of the Year Niamh Mulcahy was Limerick’s main scoring threat, grabbing all of her team’s scores.

Karen O'Leary with Niamh Rockett Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Yet Limerick burst out of the blocks after the break; first leveling matters within 10 minutes, and then enacting a three-point lead of their own during the next 10-minute spell. All the while Waterford failed to register a score, their first of the second-half not actually arriving until the 53rd minute.

Yet with two points in the difference, a resurgent Waterford team re-entered the game in a desperate attempt to draw level. Despite a Lorraine Bray score though, they could find neither an equaliser, nor a winning goal during the tense closing stages in Dr Cullen Park.

Mags Fennelly and Aine Fahey with referee John Dolan Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

It ended 0-9 to 0-8, meaning that Fiona Hickey will now lead her team out in Croke Park on 7 September, hoping to go one better than last year.

In the second semi-final Kilkenny dominated from the get-go, and eventually won by a comfortable 12-point margin.

Playing with the breeze in the first-half, the Cats led by five at the interval — a late Siobhán Hurley score leaving the Lilywhites very much in the game.

Lydia Fitzpatrick and Jane O'Donoghue Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

After the interval, the two teams traded points for much of the opening 10 minutes, although Kildare would not manage another score for the remainder of the game.

Also, a Melissa Lyons penalty on 33 minutes was vitally saved — and with that Kildare’s opportunity was largely missed. In contrast, Kilkenny managed 1-6, against the elements, during that crucial final quarter.

The final score in this one, Kilkenny 1-16 Kildare 0-7, and a month after Richie Power broke Limerick hearts, the county’s ladies now have the opportunity to make amends.

Limerick camogie star laments media depiction of female athletes

Bríd Stack: Cork ladies footballers a lot like Kilkenny hurlers

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next: