1,780 Views 2 Comments

Just minutes away from the start of another potential cracker. All the team news coming up shortly…

Late change for Galway – Alan Kerins is out and will be replaced by James Regan

Galway team: J Skehill; F Moore, S Kavanagh, D Collins; D Barry, T Óg Regan, A Cullinane; A Smith, D Burke; J Gantley, G Farraher, I Tannian; D Hayes, J Canning, J Regan.

Waterford team: C. Hennessy, D. Fives, L. Lawlor, N. Connors, T. Browne, N. Walsh, K. Moran, D. O’Sullivan, S. Molompy, E. Kelly, S. O’Sullivan, P. Mahony, J. Mullane, S. Walsh, S. Prendergast.

The parade ahead of the second game has started at Semple Stadium

Waterford, of course, will be very anxious to atone for their heavy defeat in the Munster Final. Galway, on the other hand, are a team on the up after victory against Cork last time out.

Nothing like the sound of the national anthem being sung by a crowd of GAA supporters!

Referee Cathal McAllister gets things underway.

GOAL for Waterford! Shane Walsh is fouled so Eoin Kelly goes for goal and it’s Walsh that slams the ball to the back of the net. The score is quickly followed up by a point from Kevin Moran. Waterford ahead: 1-1 0-0

Davy Fitzgerald has set his team up very differently from the line up in the programme – Walsh has been given plenty of space in the forward line – as Joe Canning’s first touch sees the ball run out for a puck out.

Pauric Mahony adds another point for Waterford but Galway hit back with points from Andy Smith and James Regan. Waterford ahead: 1-2 0-2

Some last ditch defending from Galway. An almost certain goal is saved by a Galway body on the ground, while Mahony flashes an effort past the right-hand post shortly afterwards. The latter does manage to add another point to his tally though. Waterford ahead: 1-3 0-2

Ger Farraher gets the next score. Another fine point but it’s still been mostly Waterford until now. A much more encouraging display from the Déise.

A couple of wides for Waterford will be of concern. A great score from captain Stephen Molompy extends their lead, however.

Damien Hayes leaves Brick Walsh for death and feeds an unmarked Tannian at the opposite side of the goal and he fires over for Galway.

A careless sideline ball from Waterford almost allows Tannion in for a goal. The men in white clear the danger when Hayes is penalised for a hook on Connors.

Signs that the Galway forwards are waking up as Joe Canning fires a point over from about 50 metres out.

GOAL for Galway. Tannion is hauled down in the square by Liam Lawlor so the referee whistles for a penalty. A cracking finish from Canning sees his team ahead for the first time in the game. Galway: 1-5 1-4 Waterford.

John Mullane’s first point levels matters.

Pauric Mahony hits a wide from his own 65-metre line. Incredible distance, pity about the direction.

Shane Walsh puts Waterford back into the lead after taking down a high ball and knocking it between the posts. Mullane has now been moved into full-forward.

Canning levels matters once again, however. 1-6 1-6

The Waterford back lines have started this contest well. Brick Walsh, in particular, has cleaned up a lot of loose ball. Such a contrast from the game against Tipperary already.

The Déise’s forwards need to tighten up though. A couple of poor decisions and poor wides mean the game is level when they might be well ahead.

Seamus Prendergast tries to make some room for himself but while the Waterford man gets the shot away, it flies wide.

Mullane is booked after some pushing and shoving between the sides. Waterford also lose their free as the referee decides to throw in the ball to restart the game.

Canning knocks a free to the left and wide and Tannian follows it up with another wide. It’s been 1-6 1-6 for a little while now.

Kevin Moran gets Waterford back on track with a fine strike from well out. Not as high scoring as the opening game today, but just as interesting between these two sides. Waterford ahead: 1-7 1-6

A lovely point from Farraher levels the teams once again. There will be two minutes of injury time at the end of the first half. 1-7 1-7

Walsh, now with 1-2, puts the Déise ahead once more. He splits the posts after breaking free down the left. Waterford ahead: 1-8 1-7

Half Time: Another free from Mahony right on the whistle leaves the scores at 1-9 to 1-7 at the break.

An unexpected first half in Semple Stadium has Waterford ahead at the break. Their disciplined play at the back has been key to keeping Joe Canning and his colleagues quiet while Shane Walsh has lead the Déıse’s attack at the other end.

The teams are back out for the second half.

Brick Walsh is fouled within seconds of the restart and Mahony drives the subsequent free over the bar.

The man himself is then fouled by the Galway back line and he does exactly the same thing to put four points between the sides. 1-11 1-7.

Shane Walsh adds another point before a foul on Eoin Kelly – for which David Collins is booked – allows Mahony picks another point from a free. Waterford ahead: 1-13 1-7

Mahony feeds Eoin Kelly near the Galway goal and the Waterford forward turns and fires over the bar. There are now seven points between the teams and the Connacht men will have to do something quickly if they are to prolong their summer. 1-14 1-7

Canning gets Galway’s first point of the second half from a straight forward free, but Moran hits right back for Waterford. 1-15 1-8

Cyril Donnellan and John Lee are both on for Galway. Prendergast has missed two points in a row for Waterford at the other end of the field, meanwhile.

Donnellan misses his first attempt at goals, increasing Galway’s wide tally even further. At the other end, Mullane roars at the crowd after adding his second point of the game. Waterford are now eight ahead. 1-16 1-8

Kelly comes crashing down after taking a lovely high ball. Mahony hits the subsequent free over the bar and there are nine points between the teams. 1-17 1-8

Barry Daly is Galway’s latest change but he has plenty to do to try and raise his team’s spirits. They can barely get their hands on the sliotar at the moment.

Nobody challenges for a Galway puck out, so Shane O’Sullivan collects and fires over the bar. Waterford ahead: 1-18 1-9

Canning gets a point from play as he gets a rare chance to show his skills.

Galway get a free not too far outside the square and Canning goes for goal. His shot is knocked out for a 65 and he takes another score.

There’s been a bit more fight from Galway in the last couple of minutes – led by Joe Canning. He’s fouled by Mahony, whose booked for his challenge, and he knocks the free over the bar. Waterford still well ahead: 1-19 1-11

Daly puts a nice point over the bar. Waterford are retreating a little towards their own goal at the moment – in an effort to protest the lead they have built up over the opening period in the second half.

A brace of points from Molompy – the second after some very composed defending by Lawlor under pressure from Tannian – has surely sealed victory and a semi-final spot for Waterford. 1-21 1-12

Walsh adds another point to take his tally for the day to 1-4. Just as the Déise were given a lesson in Cork not too long ago, this has been a real hammering for Galway in the second half.

An incredible flying save by Clinton Hennessy keeps Galway at bay.

GOAL for Galway. Aidan Harte fires an effort to the back of the net, but surely too little too late.  1-23 2-13

GOAL for Waterford. Only a pitch a matter of seconds, Tommy Ryan lashed the ball beyond the Galway keeper and puts the final nail in the coffin. FULL TIME: Waterford 2-23 2-13 Galway.

Davy Fitzgerald shows his emotions at full-time. What a performance from Waterford after the result in the Munster final. Galway will be very disappointed by their efforts, particularly in the second half. However, the Déise were well deserved winners.

Davy Fitz pays full tribute to his “boys” and gives them all the credit. He says they choose “to live through the hurt” after the Munster Final but warned that it doesn’t get any tougher than their semi-final fixture against Kilkenny. The result means Dublin will play Tipperary in the other last-four clash.

That’s the last of the action from Semple Stadium today, so well done to Dublin and Waterford respectively. It’s now back to the drawing board for Galway and, surely, a brighter future ahead for Limerick.

Gavin Cooney
Reports From Qatar

Get Gavin's exclusive writing and analysis from the 2022 Fifa World Cup

Become a Member

About the author: