This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 10 °C Tuesday 11 December, 2018

Manchester City fined after FA Cup fracas with Wigan

Both sides clashed just before City’s Fabian Delph was sent off.

 Players and coaching staff get involved.
Players and coaching staff get involved.

MANCHESTER CITY HAVE been fined £50,000 after admitting a Football Association (FA) charge of failing to control their players against Wigan Athletic.

Players were involved in a melee during last month’s FA Cup tie at DW Stadium after Fabian Delph made a challenge on Wigan’s Max Power.

Referee Anthony Taylor initially appeared set to book Delph, before he subsequently showed a straight red card as Wigan players surrounded the City man and the match official.

Pep Guardiola and Wigan coach Paul Cook clashed on the sidelines, as players had to be separated on the pitch.

City lost the tie 1-0, Will Grigg’s second-half goal sending the League One side through to the fifth round at the expense of the Premier League leaders.

Sergio Aguero escaped punishment after City’s record goalscorer was embroiled in an altercation with a Wigan supporter who invaded the pitch following the full-time whistle.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

English club denies cover-up of Barry Bennell’s sexual abuse and says it won’t hold internal investigation

Palace snap up former Liverpool and Brazil goalkeeper on a free transfer

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel