BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 12°C Monday 19 April 2021
Advertisement

Court of Arbitration for Sport reduces Maria Sharapova's two-year doping ban

The former world number one will now be able to return in April 2017.

Sharapova tested positive in January of this year.
Sharapova tested positive in January of this year.
Image: Mike Egerton

THE COURT OF Arbitration for Sport has reduced Maria Sharapova’s International Tennis Federation ban to 15 months.

The five-time Grand Slam winner is now eligible to return to the sport in April 2017, after initially being handed a two-year ban for testing positive for the banned substance meldonium at the Australian Open at the start of this year.

Sharapova, the former world number one, claimed to be unaware that meldonium had been added to WADA’s prohibited list at the start of 2016 and duly appealed to the CAS.

In its verdict, the CAS “found that Ms Sharapova committed an anti-doping rule violation and that while it was with ‘no significant fault’, she bore some degree of fault, for which a sanction of fifteen months is appropriate”.

Sharapova openly admitted she had been taking meldonium for 10 years to help treat illnesses, a heart issue and a magnesium deficiency.

The initial ban was imposed by an independent tribunal appointed by the ITF and the reduced ban following her appeal means the Russian, who has spent most of her life in the United States, will be free to resume competition before next year’s French Open.

“I’ve gone from one of the toughest days of my career last March when I learned about my suspension to now, one of my happiest days, as I found out I can return to tennis in April,” Sharapova said in a statement on her Facebook page.

“In so many ways, I feel like something I love was taken away from me and it will feel really good to have it back.

“Tennis is my passion and I have missed it. I am counting the days until I can return to the court.”

The 29-year-old says that her case should be a lesson to the International Tennis Federation and other anti-doping agencies to ensure other players avoid a similar fate. The statement added:

“I have learned from this, and I hope the ITF has as well.  CAS concluded that ‘the Panel has determined it does not agree with many of the conclusions of the [ITF] Tribunal…’

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

“I have taken responsibility from the very beginning for not knowing that the over-the-counter supplement I had been taking for the last 10 years was no longer allowed.

Sharapova Appeal Source: Damian Dovarganes

“But I also learned how much better other Federations were at notifying their athletes of the rule change, especially in Eastern Europe where Mildronate [another name for meldonium] is commonly taken by millions of people.

“Now that this process is over, I hope the ITF and other relevant tennis anti-doping authorities will study what these other Federations did, so that no other tennis player will have to go through what I went through.”

Sharapova also she had a message of thanks to her fans.

“And to my fans, (Hello SharaFamily!), I thank you so much for living and breathing so many of these tough months together,” she said.

“During this time, I have learned the true meaning of a fan and I am so fortunate to have had your support.

“I’m coming back soon and I can’t wait.”

Reacting to the news, WTA CEO Steve Simon said in a statement: “The TADP has a comprehensive and fair process in place and we support the final result. We are pleased that the process is now at completion and can look forward to seeing Maria back on court in 2017.”

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Odell Beckham left frustrated as Vikings stay unbeaten

About the author:

Ryan Bailey

Read next:

COMMENTS (10)