Dublin: 17°C Monday 20 September 2021

Paul Kerrigan goal decisive as Nemo and Castlehaven set up Cork football final

Cork’s football final will be a repeat of the 2013 decider.

Nemo haven't won the championship since 2010.
Nemo haven't won the championship since 2010.
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

THE CORK SENIOR Football Championship final will be a repeat the 2013 meeting of Castlehaven and Nemo Rangers after both were successful in their semi-finals at Páirc Uí Rinn today.

In the opening game, Nemo – seeking their first title since 2010 – opened up a 1-7 to 0-3 half-time lead on Carbery Rangers. However, they were left hanging on as a second-half resurgence by the Rosscarbery club brought them back to within a point, 1-11 to 0-13, as the game entered injury time but last year’s beaten finalists were unable to find an equaliser.

Paul Kerrigan gave Nemo a dream start with a goal inside two minutes and he, Alan O’Donovan, James Masters and Luke Connolly were among the points as it was almost all one-way traffic for the city side.

Trailing by seven at the break, Carbery Rangers needed something special upon the resumption and they increased their performance levels dramatically. They scored six of the first seven points after the restart, with John Hayes, John O’Rourke, Seamus Hayes and Brian Shanahan all on target as Nemo were put on the back foot.

Luke Connolly pointed to put the city side 1-11 to 0-11 in front with seven minutes left, but Seamus Hayes replied for Carbery Rangers and then John Hayes converted a free to bring the gap to the minimum, but it was as close as they could come, with Nemo holding out for a 1-11 to 0-13 victory.

Brian Hurley Brian Hurley's goal gave Castlehaven an early cushion. Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Castlehaven enjoyed a blistering start against neighbours O’Donovan Rossa and that always provided them with a cushion as they enjoyed a 1-13 to 1-10 victory.

The champions of 2012 and ’13 led by 0-3 to 0-1 after Seán Dineen’s point in the fifth minute and then Brian Hurley added a goal. Further points from Stephen Hurley, a free from goalkeeper Paudie Hurley and another by Cork star Brian Hurley gave them a 1-6 to 0-1 cushion.

Daniel Hazel, Donal Óg Hodnett and Kevin Davis all got points for the Skibbereen town side to bring them back to within five points, 1-8 to 0-6, at half-time. Early in the second half, Brian Hurley might have put the game beyond Rossa when the Haven were awarded a penalty but goalkeeper Ryan Price did well to keep his effort out.

Even so, they remained in control and a point by Shane Nolan made it 1-13 to 0-10 with nine minutes left. Conor McCarthy did make it a nervy last few minutes when he goaled for Skibb but the Haven weren’t to be denied. The final takes place in a fortnight, with the senior hurling decider between Glen Rovers and Sarsfields slated for next Sunday.

Patrickswell batter Adare to reach first Limerick senior hurling final since 2006

Gooch goal knocks Munster champions Austin Stacks out of the Kerry 

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next: