THERE IS AN Irish entry among the nominations for this year’s Fifa Puskas Award thanks to Stephanie Roche.
A 10-strong shortlist has been announced for the prize, which is awarded for world football’s goal of the year, and 25-year-old striker Roche is among household names such as Diego Costa, Robin van Persie and James Rodriguez for her wondergoal in Peamount United’s colours last October.
During a WNL game against Wexford Youth, Roche, who these days plies her trade in France with ASPTT Albi collected a cross with her first touch before flicking it over her marker’s head and rifling a left-footed volley into the back of the net.
“I am absolutely delighted to have been nominated for FIFA’s best goal of the year,” Roche said. “Obviously, it was a big surprise but it is a great boost, not only for myself, but for women’s football and particularly the Women’s National League. It’s a great feeling to see myself on the list.”
If ever there was a reason to watch it again…Source: eileen gleeson/YouTube
Here’s a list of all 10 nominations:
- Tim Cahill – 18 June 2014, Australia v. Netherlands, 2014 FIFA World Cup
- Diego Costa – 23 November 2013, Atlético Madrid v. Getafe, Primera División (Spain)
- Marco Fabian – 15 February 2014, Cruz Azul v. Puebla, 1a División 2014 Clausura (Mexico)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 19 October 2013, Paris St. Germain v. SC Bastia, Ligue 1 (France)
- Pajtim Kasami – 21 October 2013, Crystal Palace v. Fulham, Premier League (England)
- Stephanie Roche -20 October 2013, Peamount United v. Wexford Youths, BEWNL (Rep.Ireland)
- James Rodriguez – 28 June 2014 – Colombia v. Uruguay, 2014 FIFA World Cup™
- Camilo Sanvezzo – 6 October 2013 – Vancouver Whitecaps v. Portland Timbers, MLS (USA/Canada)
- Hisato Sato – 8 March 2014 – Sanfrecce Hiroshima v. Kawasaki Frontale, J.League (Japan)
- Robin van Persie – 13 June 2014 – Spain v. Netherlands, 2014 FIFA World Cup