Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
OK
BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Pita Ahki of Toulouse scores a try during their Heineken Champions Cup Pool 5 match against Connacht at the Sportsground.
Pita Ahki of Toulouse scores a try during their Heineken Champions Cup Pool 5 match against Connacht at the Sportsground.
Image: SIPA USA/PA Images

Toulouse players become latest in Top 14 to agree to pay cuts for next season

The 20-time French champions’ current squad will take a hit of up to 15% on their salaries in 2020/21.
May 27th 2020, 7:15 PM 3,140 0

TOULOUSE ANNOUNCED ON Wednesday that their squad will take a pay cut of up to 15% for next season.

The record 20-time French champions join fellow Top 14 sides Toulon and 2018 winners Castres in reducing wages due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

“This project, which was presented by our president Didier Lacroix, was approved unanimously,” a club statement said.

“Similar negotiations will be held with the coaching staff soon,” it added.

Earlier this month, Toulouse’s France full-back Thomas Ramos told AFP his team-mates were favourable towards the idea.

The Top 14 was declared over in April, due to the COVID-19 outbreak but questions remain about if a title winner will be decided and which sides will represent the league in next season’s European Champions Cup.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Toulouse finished the season in seventh position and could miss out on the top-tier of continental competition.

Two weeks ago, the four-time European champions invited fans to buy bricks to form a wall near their Stade Ernest-Wallon stadium to help with the financial burden of the illness which has seen a reduction in revenue from ticket sales and sponsorship.

Toulouse players underwent medical tests at the start of the week as they began their return to training protocol, but Rugby World Cup winner Cheslin Kolbe remains in South Africa as he had returned home before lockdown measures had been introduced.

© – AFP, 2020

Send a tip to the author

AFP

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a comment

     
    cancel reply
    Tags
    Back to top