Skip to content

UL reach Fitzgibbon quarter-finals, NUIG stun UCC and Mary I beat champions WIT

Big day of action in Group B and Group C.
Feb 5th 2015, 5:43 PM 9,428 1

Shane O'Donnell and Ger Fennelly Shane O'Donnell in action for UCC today in Dangan. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

UL BOOKED THEIR place in the Fitzgibbon Cup quarter-finals today while both NUI Galway and Mary Immaculate College claimed decisive victories.

UL followed up last week’s comprehensive victory over NUI Galway with a thirteen-point win over GMIT in Group B. Tony Kelly bagged 0-7 for UL while Limerick’s Kevin O’Brien and Tipperary’s Jason Forde also made major scoring contributions with 0-5 and 0-4 respectively.

Jason Forde Jason Forde impressed for UL today. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

UL were ahead 0-10 to 0-8 at half-time with Tadhg Haran pointing frees for GMIT and Galway senior Jason Flynn gave GMIT a boost when he netted in the second-half. But UL powered for the finish line in the third quarter and Laois player PJ Scully banged in a goal as they ran out 13-point winners.

In the same group, NUI Galway caused a major surprise at Dangan as they defeated 2012 and 2013 champions UCC. Clare’s Bobby Duggan was the NUI Galway scoring star as he landed 0-12 while Cork’s Conor Lehane (0-9) and Kilkenny’s John Power (0-4) had tried their best to keep UCC in touch.

UCC, coached by Dublin boss Ger Cunningham, were in front by 0-11 to 0-10 at the break but NUI Galway were a stronger proposition in the second-half. Westmeath’s Niall O’Brien made a significant contribution as he weighed in with 0-4.

The result means UL have now qualified from Group B with UCC and NUI Galway to fight it out for the second spot. Next Tuesday, UCC are at home against UL while NUI Galway take on GMIT in the final round of group games.

Ger Cunnningham and Timmy Crowley UCC boss Ger Cunningham. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Mary Immaculate College made a great start to their Group C campaign when they comfortably saw off last year’s champions Waterford IT at home and claimed a 2-19 to 0-10 win.

The 2013 finalists were in control from early on with scores from Steven Cahill, Limerick’s David Reidy – who finished with 0-7 – and Tipperary footballer Seamus Kennedy. Such was the dominance of the Mary I half back line of Richie English, John Meagher and captain Tom Stapleton, that WIT didn’t register a score until the 10th minute, courtesy of Waterford’s Paraic Mahony.

David Reidy Limerick's David Reidy impressed for Mary Immaculate College today Source: James Crombie/INPHO

The game was over as a contest after 20 minutes, when Darragh Corry rattled the net for Mary Immaculate College, after good work by corner-back Liam Corry and Niall O’Meara. Mary Immaculate were ahead 1-12 to 0-5 early in the second-half and when Darragh O’Donovan struck a goal in the 47th minute, Mary I emptied the bench and won comfortably.

Reidy finished his days work with 0-7, O’Donovan struck 1-2, Corry grabbed 1-1, Kennedy hit 0-3 and Limerick’s Declan Hannon grabbed 0-2. For Wateford IT, Mahoney was their top scorer with 0-7.

The win puts Mary Immaculate in a strong position ahead of their remaining games against Maynooth University – which was postponed last week – and IT Carlow. Waterford IT, victors last week over IT Carlow, have one match left against Maynooth.


Group B
NUI Galway 0-21 UCC 0-19
UL 1-24 GMIT 1-11

Group C
Mary Immaculate College 2-19 Waterford IT 0-10

Additional reporting by Jamie Wall

Two college teams have been thrown out of the Sigerson Cup over ineligible players

UCD, Cork IT and Limerick IT all book Fitzgibbon Cup quarter-final places

Send a tip to the author

Fintan O'Toole


    Back to top