Skip to content

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Buckley and Cummins on target as Cork City rally against Waterford to reclaim top spot

City took the lead at the eight minutes into the second half at the RSC.
Aug 3rd 2018, 10:38 PM 5,951 22

Waterford FC 1

Cork City 2

Brendan White reports from the RSC

GOALS FROM GARRY Buckley and Graham Cummins moved Cork City back to the top of the Premier Division table after a 2-1 win in a pulsating Munster Derby at the RSC.

Noel Hunt had given Waterford the lead but Buckley levelled within 60 seconds. Cummins fired the rebound from Buckley’s second-half strike to seal the points.

Cork City started with the early possession but it was Waterford who had the first chance. Gavan Holohan was fouled on half-way and referee Neil Doyle played an advantage for Ismahil Akinade to race down the right.

He made space for the striker but Cork City keeper Mark McNulty made the low save.

Four minutes later at the other end, Cork City could have grabbed the opener. Rory Feely’s backpass to Matthew Connor was short and Karl Sheppard nipped in. Connor made himself big and saved well from Sheppard’s strike across the goal.

Waterford created a better chance after 18 minutes. Stanley Aborah spread play to the left to Dylan Barnet and he crossed first time. Gavan Holohan timed his run to perfection but again McNulty was in the right place to make a good save.

Alan Reynolds’ side grabbed the opener after 31 minutes. Noel Hunt picked up possession on the endline from Rory Feely’s excellent ball over the top. Striker Hunt ran at Sean McLoughlin before firing beyond McNulty at the near post.

But Cork City were level within 60 seconds. Steven Beattie’s ball from the right touchline found the excellent touch of Graham Cummins inside the penalty area. He laid the ball off to Garry Buckley who fired low beyond Matthew Connor after evading the challenge of Paul Keegan.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

City took the lead at the eight minutes into the second half. Buckley’s long-range strike forced Matthew Connor into a good save but Cummins was quickest to react and scoop the ball over the helpless Connor for Cork to turn the game around.

Dylan Barnett tried to get Waterford back into the game on the hour mark, but McNulty was in the right place to save from the full-back.

At the other end, Graham Cummins thought he’d put the game beyond the home side when he fired under Connor from Barry McNamee’s through ball but the offside flag ended the celebrations.

As much as Waterford pressed, City held out and picked up a valuable three points to move back to top of the Premier Division table.

Waterford FC: Matt Connor, Dessie Hutchinson, Kenny Browne, Rory Feely, Dylan Barnett (Garry Comerford 76), Paul Keegan (Courtney Duffus 69), Stanley Aborah, Bastien Héry, Gavan Holohan (Sander Puri 76), Noel Hunt, Izzy Akinade

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Steven Beattie, Jimmy Keohane, Damien Delaney, Conor McCormack, Shane Griffin, Barry McNamee (Kieran Sadlier 89), Sean McLoughlin, Graham Cummins (Josh O’Hanlon 84), Karl Sheppard (Alan Bennett 94), Garry Buckley

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin)

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Send a tip to the author

Brendan White


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a comment

    cancel reply
    Back to top