Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 8°C Tuesday 27 October 2020

Davy Fitz watches his side cruise past Laois from the stand to book semi-final date with the Cats

Jack Guiney made a huge impact off the bench as Wexford now face Kilkenny on 10 June.

Image: Tommy Grealy/INPHO

Wexford 3-25
Laois 1-17

By Jackie Cahill at O’Moore Park, Portlaoise

DAVY FITZGERALD WATCHED from the stands as his Wexford side cruised past Laois in this afternoon’s Leinster senior hurling championship quarter-final at O’Moore Park.

Wexford had 14 points to spare as they set up a mouth-watering semi-final clash with Kilkenny on 10 June.

Laois finished with 13 players when Charles Dwyer was sent off for a second bookable offence in the 57th minute, before Willie Dunphy was dismissed on a straight red four minutes from time following an aerial clash with Eoin Moore.

The end result was in little doubt by then and Jack Guiney made a huge impact after coming off the Wexford bench at half-time.

Guiney had a big part to play in the first two Wexford scores of the second half, assisted Aidan Nolan’s 43rd minute goal, had one of his own chalked off, and then found the net 18 minutes from time.

It was also an afternoon when Liam Óg McGovern came off the bench to mark his return from cruciate knee ligament damage.

All in all, a positive day for Wexford, who’ll face a big step-up in class against the Cats in less than a fortnight.

Wexford did what they had to, as Conor McDonald led the way in the scoring stakes with a nine-point haul.

Harry Kehoe hit 1-2, Paul Morris 0-5 and Nolan 1-1 as Wexford collected 3-19 from play.

Wexford were 1-11 to 0-9 clear at half-time, but it took the Slaneysiders some time to put daylight between themselves and the hosts.

Ultimately, however, a solid defensive platform paved the way for the visitors, with Shaun Murphy good in the sweeper role, while centre back Matthew O’Hanlon and corner back Simon Donohoe were excellent.

Laois, who had the breeze in the opening half, didn’t help themselves with some poor decision-making but to their credit, they were competitive.

Patrick Purcell with Jim Rossiter Source: Tommy Grealy/INPHO

Time and time again, however, Wexford mopped up loose ball comfortably within their own half, as the Laois forwards struggled to make headway.

Laois also had to survive a scare as early as the 24th second, when back-pedalling Lee Cleere scrambled David Redmond’s half-blocked effort off the line.

Laois then stormed into a 0-3 to 0-0 lead, Stephen Maher opening the scoring before skipper Ross King scored two points, but Wexford were level by the sixth minute.

Paul Morris and Redmond were involved in the build-up but goalkeeper Enda Rowland chose to come from his line and when the ball travelled past him, Harry Kehoe managed to net from a tight angle with a ground-stroke.

Twice more the sides were level before Wexford began to find some breathing space, scoring five of the game’s six points between the 17th and 28th minutes.

Their biggest lead of the half was six points, 1-10 to 0-7, and Chin was close to another goal in the 34th minute, flashing a powerful shot just wide after picking off King’s loose ball.

Laois cut the gap to four with a King free and John Lennon’s point from play, but O’Hanlon fed Jack O’Connor, in acres of space, and the St Martin’s man did the rest for the final score of the half.

Wexford upped the ante after half-time as goals from Nolan and Guiney kept their well in front.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Laois lost their discipline, and two players in the process, although Patrick Purcell did claim a consolation goal.

Scorers for Wexford: Conor McDonald 0-9 (4f, 1 65), Harry Kehoe 1-2, Paul Morris 0-5, Aidan Nolan 1-1, Jack Guiney 1-0, Lee Chin 0-3 (1f), Jack O’Connor 0-2, Shaun Murphy, Diarmuid O’Keeffe & David Redmond 0-1 each.

Scorers for Laois: Ross King 0-7 (5f), Patrick Purcell 1-1, Aaron Dunphy 0-2, Ciarán Collier, Charles Dwyer, Seán Downey, John Lennon, Willie Dunphy, Stephen Maher & Cian Taylor 0-1 each.


16. Oliver O’Leary (Buffers Alley)

2. Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers)
3. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
4. James Breen (Adamstown)

8. Éanna Martin (Carrickshock – Kilkenny)
6. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James)
7. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Anne’s)

9. Aidan Nolan (Half-Way-House/Bunclody)
10. Jack O’Connor (St Martin’s)

15. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s)
14. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
11. David Redmond (Oulart-The-Ballagh)

13. Conor McDonald (Naomh Éanna)
12. Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn)
5. Shaun Murphy (Oulart-the-Ballagh)


20. Jack Guiney (Rathnure) for Redmond (h.t.)
23. Barry Carton (Cloughbawn) for O’Connor (38)
17. Eoin Moore (Oulart-The-Ballagh) for Breen (43)
22. David Dunne (Davidstown Courtnacuddy) for Nolan (52)
24. Liam Óg McGovern (St Anne’s) for Morris (65)


1. Enda Rowland (St Lazerian’s, Abbeyleix)

2. Lee Cleere (Clough Ballacolla)
3. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
4. Dwane Palmer (Camross)

7. Matthew Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
6. Charles Dwyer (Ballinakill)
5. Ciarán Collier (Camross)

8. Ross King (Rathdowney Errill)
9. Patrick Purcell (Rathdowney Errill)

10. Seán Downey (Ballinakill)
15. Stephen Maher (Clough Ballacolla)
19. Jack Kelly (Rathdowney Errill)

11. John Lennon (Rosenallis)
14. Neil Foyle (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
12. Willie Dunphy (Clough Ballacolla)


18. Cian Taylor (Portlaoise) for Kelly (h.t.)
13. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton) for Cleere (43)
17. Mark Kavanagh (Rathdowney Errill) for Lennon (49)
21. Aidan Corby (Clough Ballacolla) for Downey (58)

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork).

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Tyrone’s easy win sets up Ulster semi-final against fellow heavyweights Donegal

About the author:

Read next: