Ciarán Kilduff ©INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan

LOI round-up: Rovers win the 'Luas derby' in Tallaght

Meanwhile, there was drama between Drogheda and Limerick City at Hunky Dorys Park.

Shamrock Rovers 3-0 St. Patrick’s Athletic

TREVOR CROLY TASTED victory for the first time in the Airtricity Premier Division as manager of Shamrock Rovers, as his side beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 3-0 in Tallaght.

Ciarán Kilduff opened the scoring for the Hoops in the 20th minute, heading in a cross from Ronan Finn after some particularly poor defending from the Inchicore side.

Brendan Clarke will not want to see any replays of Rovers’ second goal, as he allowed Gary McCabe’s shot to squeeze through him.

Pat’s pressed to get back into the match but were caught on the counter attack by Finn, who made it 3-0 with just seven minutes of the game remaining.

Drogheda United 2-2 Limerick

Nine-man Limerick earned a 2-2 draw with Drogheda United at Hunky Dorys Park in a match that included four penalty kicks as well as the two red cards.

As well as sending both Aaron Browne and Alex Bossekata off, referee Graham Kelly sent Limerick boss Stuart Taylor to the stands for dissent.

Drogs landed first blood when Declan O’Brien scored from the spot, before Browne levelled with a header. Browne was then sent off for arguing with Kelly over a second penalty, which O’Brien failed to score.

Limerick, playing with ten men at this stage, managed to take the lead through a Shane Tracy penalty, before Bossekata walked for an off-the-ball incident.

The final penalty went to Drogheda, and O’Brien managed to make it two from three and earn a point for the Louth side.

Cork City 2-1 Bohemians

Despite taking the lead through Owen Heary, Bohemians came away from Turner’s Cross disappointed as Cork City ran out 2-1 winners in front of their own fans.

The Phibsborough side took the lead shortly before half-time when Heary glanced a Ryan McEvoy corner past Mark McNulty at the near post.

However, it took just five minutes of the second period for the Leesiders to draw level.

Daryl Kavanagh set up Danny Furlong, with the former Wexford striker side-footing the ball past Dean Delany.

They hit the front on 58 minutes, with the impressive Daryl Horgan finding space inside the box and shooting low past Dean Delany in the Bohemians goal.

Danny Furlong almost made it 3-1 to the home side, his shot beating Delany but not the crossbar.

UCD 0-6 Derry City

There was misery for UCD out in Belfield as Derry City ran out 6-0 winners, with Rory Patterson grabbing a hat-trick for Declan Devine’s side.

All of Paterson’s strikes came inside 27 first half minutes, with Thomas Crawley making it a rout shortly after the break.

The Students lost David O’Connor to a second half red card, before substitute Michael Rafter and Mark Griffin added insult to insult to injury.

Shelbourne 1-3 Dundalk

Finally, ten-men Shelbourne had a night to forget at Tolka Park as they lost 3-1 to Dundalk in front of their own fans.

Shels had actually snatched the lead against the run of play towards the end of the first half, with Mark Leech’s whipped delivery taken by Dean Kelly with a diving header.

Dundalk goalkeeper Peter Cherrie made a fine save from Philly Hughes to stop the Dublin side going further ahead, and the game changed utterly in the second half.

Ian Ryan was booked for taking down Keith Ward in the box and up stepped John Dillon to score from the spot. Stephen O’Donnell gave the visiting side the lead four minutes after Graham Gartland had been dismissed for two yellow cards, with John Mountney sealing the win in injury time.

VIDEO: Any idea which film title Jan Vertonghen is miming? >

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.