The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 11 °C Sunday 22 October, 2017
Advertisement

Andy Lee says his fight against Billy Joe Saunders will go ahead in December

Lee says an exact date will be confirmed in the coming days.

Image: Peter Byrne

ANDY LEE’S TWICE postponed WBO World Middleweight title fight against Billy Joe Sanuders will go ahead in December, the fighter has confirmed.

Lee was initially meant to take on Saunders at Thomond Park in September, before the fight was rearranged for October 10 in Manchester after Lee had been suffering from flu.

However, a nasty cut suffered by Saunders caused the fight to be postponed for a second time last month, and no new date had given for Lee’s first title defence.

But speaking on TV3′s The Sin Bin this evening, the Limerickman confirmed that the fight will take place in Manchester in December, with an official date to be confirmed shortly.

“The date will be announced in the coming days.

“I go back to England at the weekend and get down to work,” he said.

Despite winning the title almost 10 months ago Lee is yet to defend his belt.

In April he fought the undefeated Peter Quillin in what was meant to be his first title defence, but it was ruled a non-title bout after Quillin came in overweight, with the pair going on to draw.

The ‘Thrilla in Manila’ was 40 years ago today

Ernie Els may have hit the worst putt of all time today

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (4)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel