This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Friday 21 September, 2018
Advertisement

England cricketer Ben Stokes found not guilty of affray after brawl outside nightclub

He has rejoined the squad.

England all-rounder Ben Stokes (file pic).
England all-rounder Ben Stokes (file pic).

ENGLAND CRICKETER BEN Stokes was found not guilty of affray in a unanimous decision by a jury in less than three hours of deliberations on Tuesday following a trial at Bristol Crown Court.

The 27-year-old — whose co-defendant Ryan Ali was also found unanimously not guilty — had been charged following a brawl hours after England played the West Indies in a one-day international in Bristol, southwest England, in September last year.

His wife, Clare, cried when the not guilty verdicts were returned while Stokes closed his eyes with relief and then looked up.

Stokes shook hands with Ali on leaving the dock at the end of the trial that lasted seven days.

Whilst Ali emerged smiling , Stokes — whose travails are not over as he faces a disciplinary hearing by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) — was stony-faced as he stood behind his solicitor Paul Lunt who read out a statement.

“Today’s verdict represents the end of an 11-month ordeal for Ben during which time he has had to maintain his silence at times when many of social media, and certain parts of the press, pre-determined his guilt long before the trial began,” said Lunt.

The statement went on to say Stokes had lost the vice-captaincy of the England team as a result of the incident and also missed the Ashes series in Australia — seen by many England players as the series to play in — and other games.

At the start of the trial the prosecution tried to amend the indictment and charge Stokes with two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm but this was rejected by the judge.

And halfway through the trial, Stokes’s legal team attempted to have the case against him dropped but this was also refused by the judge.

The jury had also been warned twice by the judge Peter Blair about press coverage and social media on the latter occasion instructing them to avoid looking at commentary of the case after Stokes’s lawyer raised the issue.

One Twitter user created a poll asking whether Stokes should play cricket for England again if he was convicted but escaped a prison sentence.

- ‘Memory blackout’ -

New Zealand-born Stokes said in his testimony last Friday he had a “significant memory blackout” but he was “absolutely not” an angry man who had lost all control.

Stokes — who was with England team-mate Alex Hales — said he intervened because 28-year-old Ali and his friend Ryan Hale — who had been acquitted earlier in the trial — had directed alleged homophobic abuse at gay men William O’Connor and Kai Barry as they walked away from Mbargo nightclub.

Hales, who was interviewed under caution but never arrested in relation to the incident, was seen on the CCTV stamping and kicking Ali in the head as he lay on the floor.

Neither O’Connor nor Barry gave evidence but the judge said imaginations should not run riot as to why that had been the case.

“It is for the prosecution and defence as to what evidence is presented to the jury,” said Blair. “There is no place for guessing or speculating.”

Stokes went out celebrating after beating the West Indies in a match in Bristol on 24 September.

Stokes said he would have had a bottle of beer after the match, two or three pints at the hotel, five or six vodka and lemonades and then “potentially had some Jagerbombs” in Mbargo.

Ali, who is an emergency services worker, had drunk six or seven Jack Daniels and Cokes during his night out with former soldier Hale.

Ali, who was knocked unconscious and suffered a fractured eye socket, said in his evidence he remained in the care of a surgeon and still suffered from double vision.

He said his memory of the night was “incomplete” due to his head injury.

Stokes can at least for the moment refocus on cricket as following the announcement of the verdict he earned a recall to the England squad for the third Test with India that gets underway on Saturday at Trent Bridge.

However, the ECB statement also confirmed he and Hale would undergo disciplinary proceedings and in light of unedifying evidence given during the trial added there was much to digest.

“Considerable detail has been heard in this week-long court case and, in due course, there will be a range of matters for the Board to fully consider.”

© – AFP, 2018

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel