The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 2 °C Thursday 23 November, 2017
Advertisement

'I must hold myself to a higher standard': McGregor pens apology for conduct at Dublin MMA event

‘I sincerely apologize for my behavior at last weekends fight event in Dublin,’ says McGregor.

Image: Gary Carr/INPHO

CONOR MCGREGOR HAS apologised for his unseemly intervention at a Bellator event at Dublin’s 3Arena on Friday night in which the UFC lightweight champion stormed the cage, shoved referee Marc Goddard, and later slapped a Bellator official.

Following his SBG team-mate Charlie Ward’s victory over John Redmond, McGregor jumped the fence to celebrate but was confronted by Goddard as well as event security as he wasn’t a licensed cornerman for the bout.

Goddard, having attempted to separate McGregor from Ward, left to check on the defeated Redmond, still felled, but McGregor followed the veteran official and shoved him while he tended to Redmond.

Security enveloped McGregor, who was still shouting and gesticulating wildly at the official.

Amidst the commotion, McGregor and an enveloping security guard knocked Redmond – who was still crouched on the floor, covered in blood and attempting to rediscover his wits – off balance.

McGregor was duly escorted from the octagon and, after standing in front of the crowd with arms aloft, appeared to depart before again attempting to reenter the cage, shouting ‘That was a fucking stoppage’ as security officials once more attempted to keep him at bay.

He then raced around the outside of the cage, clapping his hands and whipping spectators into a frenzy. Moments later, TMZ cameras caught him attempting to vault into the ring and slapping a Bellator official who stood in his way as he straddled the fence.

Bellator official Mike Mazzulli, who was ringside on Friday night in Dublin’s docklands, spoke to several UFC officials regarding McGregor’s conduct, and told Ariel Helwani’s MMA Hour that the Dubliner “was set to be on the 30 December card and he will not be on it,” indicating ‘The Notorious’ had been pulled from a not-yet confirmed appearance on UFC 219.

McGregor has this evening posted an apology to his Instagram account, suggesting his memory of the tragic death of João Carvalho, who passed away following a bout with Ward, had influenced his criticism of Goddard, whose officiating of Ward-Redmond he described as “horrendous.”

I sincerely apologize for my behavior at last weekends fight event in Dublin. While trying to support a loyal teammate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line. As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard. The referee Marc Gonard was making a horrendous decision in trying to pick an unconscious fighter up off the floor and force the fight to continue into the second round. Even against the wishes of the said fighters coach. The fight was over. After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone. I sincerely apologize to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, Mike Mazzulli, all the officials and staff working the event, Andy Ryan and his fighter John, two stonch ones that put up a great fight every time. That side will always have my respect, and lastly every one of my fans. I love yous all! I’ve always learned from my mistakes and this will be no different.

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

“I sincerely apologize for my behavior at last weekends fight event in Dublin,” McGregor said.

“While trying to support a loyal teammate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line. As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard.

The referee Marc Gonard was making a horrendous decision in trying to pick an unconscious fighter up off the floor and force the fight to continue into the second round.

“Even against the wishes of the said fighters coach. The fight was over.

After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone.

“I sincerely apologize to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, Mike Mazzulli, all the officials and staff working the event, Andy Ryan and his fighter John, two stonch ones that put up a great fight every time.

“That side will always have my respect, and lastly every one of my fans. I love yous all!

“I’ve always learned from my mistakes and this will be no different.”

Buy The42’s new book, Behind The Lines, here:

Conor McGregor ‘pulled’ from UFC card thanks to Bellator antics, according to commission boss

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (35)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel