GALWAY ARE INTO their first All-Ireland SFC quarter final since 2008 after getting the better of Tipperary in a high scoring affair at O’Connor Park in Tullamore.
Shane Walsh starred for The Tribesmen, who had Tom Flynn, Fiontan O Curraoin, Michael Lundy and Danny Cummins to thanks for their goals. Tipperary trailed by 14 points at one stage but rallied late to make the final scoreline a respectable one.
Tipp were right in the Round 4A qualifier for most of the first half but conceded two late goals to cede the advantage to Galway. They needed to start the second half strongly but, within the space of four minutes, had conceded two more goals.
Following the goal flurry, Galway led 4-8 to 0-8. A fightback was sparked by Brian Fox’s 47th minute goal but Tipp’s second did not arrive until the 65th minute as Brian Mulvihill found the net. The Premier were playing for pride and finished with a pair of goals from Colin O’Riordan and a Conor Sweeney penalty.
Galway’s breathing room was stuffy in the closing stages but, by the time referee Barry Cassidy blew his final whistle and the dust had settled, the winning difference was five points. They meet Kerry at 2pm in next Sunday’s SFC quarter final. The fixture will be a repeat of Galway’s last appearance of that stage, which they lost 1-21 to 1-16.
Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO
Scorers for Galway: Shane Walsh 0-5 (0-3f), Danny Cummins, Michael Lundy 1-1 each, Fiontan O Curraoin, Thomas Flynn 1-0 each, Michael Martin, Paul Conroy 0-3 each, Sean Armstrong 0-2, Paul Varley, Damien Comer 0-1 each.
Scorers for Tipperary: Conor Sweeney 1-4 (1-0 pen, 0-4f), Colin O’Riordan 1-2, Brian Fox, Brian Mulvihill 1-0 each, Peter Acheson 0-2, Steven O’Brien, Barry Grogan, Michael Quinlivan, George Hannigan 0-1 each.
Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO
1. Tomás Healy (Corofin)
2. Donal O’Neill (Cortoon Shamrocks)
3. Finian Hanley (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
4. Joss Moore (Mountbellew-Moylough)
5. Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
6. Gary O’Donnell (Tuam Stars)
7. Paul Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
8. Fiontán O’Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)
9. Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
10. Michael Lundy (Corofin)
11. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
12. James Kavanagh (Miltown)
13. Michael Martin (Miltown)
14. Paul Conroy (St James – Captain)
15. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)
Subs for Galway
Daithi Burke (Corofin) for O’Donnell (33)
Sean Armstrong (Salthill-Knocknacarra) for Cummins (49)
John O’Brien (Clifden) for Kavanagh (61)
1. Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard)
2. John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy)
3. Paddy Codd (Killenaule)
4. Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow)
5. Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens)
6. Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers)
7. Ger Mulhair (Aravale Rovers)
8. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
9. George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)
10. Michael Quinlivan (Commercials)
11. Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty)
12. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
13. Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)
14. Barry Grogan (Aherlow)
15. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)
Subs for Tipperary
Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials) for Mulhair (33)
Colman Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials) for Quinlivan (44)
Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers) for Grogan (49)
Hugh Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy) for O’Brien (black card) (53)
Brian Mulvihill (Moyle Rovers) for Fahey (61)
Sean Flynn (Fr Sheehys) for Austin (64)
Referee: Barry Cassidy (Derry).