The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 2 °C Monday 11 December, 2017
Advertisement

Holloway on McGregor: 'It's all fun and games until the guy gets salty'

The featherweight champ says he won’t be waiting around for a rematch with the lightweight title-holder.

Forty-eight hours before Conor McGregor attended a Fashion Awards ceremony in London, Max Holloway defended his UFC featherweight title.
Forty-eight hours before Conor McGregor attended a Fashion Awards ceremony in London, Max Holloway defended his UFC featherweight title.
Image: PA Images

MAX HOLLOWAY WOULD be happy to face Conor McGregor in a rematch but the reigning UFC featherweight champion insists he won’t wait around in the hope of avenging his last defeat.

After dethroning Jose Aldo in a 145-pound title bout back in June, Holloway (19-3) overcame Aldo again on Saturday night in his inaugural championship defence at UFC 218.

The 26-year-old Hawaiian, who has now won 12 fights in a row, continues to impress since his unanimous-decision loss to McGregor (21-3) in August 2013. McGregor later went on to win the featherweight belt before being stripped of the strap due to inactivity.

On Sunday, McGregor aimed a dig at Holloway by taking to social media to reference their previous meeting, which the Dubliner won comprehensively despite tearing his anterior cruciate knee ligament in the second round.

“Supposedly only he got better from the last fight and I didn’t,” Holloway said in an interview published today on FloCombat. “It’s funny. Just know, if the fight with Conor McGregor never happens — like never, ever — it’s not going to be because of my side.

“Their team said I’m one of the best of the guys in the world. Go Google it if you don’t believe me. But supposedly only one guy can get better after every fight and I guess I’m not that guy. I don’t care.”

McGregor hasn’t competed in mixed martial arts since he defeated Eddie Alvarez 13 months ago to become the UFC’s lightweight champion. Since losing his professional boxing debut to Floyd Mayweather in August, the 29-year-old has mostly made headlines due to a number of controversial incidents outside the cage.

And while he has spoken previously of his desire to negotiate improved financial terms with the UFC before returning, the 155-pound title-holder has been linked to imminent clashes with two-time foe Nate Diaz and current interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson. However, the potential for a rematch with Holloway appears to be gathering momentum.

Holloway said: “It’s all fun and games until the guy gets salty. He’s getting salty. He’s acting out. He’s been acting out of character lately. We’ll see where it goes.

“If he wants to come back, he’s more than welcome, but at the end of the day, I’ve got a belt to defend. I’m not going to go on a hiatus from my throne. I’m here to fight. I’m here to conquer. All these guys can get it.”

Leicester prop ruled out of Munster games and may also be a Six Nations doubt

Big Sam will miss Everton’s Europa League match due to a medical appointment

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel