This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Tuesday 23 October, 2018
Advertisement

'I'm done with amateur boxing' - Michael Conlan confirms he's going pro

The Belfast fighter won’t be heading for Tokyo.

MICHAEL CONLAN IS done with amateur boxing.

The Belfast fighter was beaten by a Russian fighter in his second fight of the Rio Olympics last month in hugely controversial circumstances.

And last night, Conlan insisted he’s set his sights on the professional ranks rather than ‘waste four years of his life’ working towards Tokyo.

“I’m in talks with a few of people,” he told Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late Show. “I have a lot of offers but that is all I can say at the moment. 100% [I'm going professional].”

He added: “The fact that it has happened could be a blessing, the way it happened like it did. It could be the catalyst for my career and a driving force to become a multi-weight world champion and probably Ireland’s greatest ever fighter.”

After the shock quarter-final defeat in Rio an emotional Conlan pointed the finger at officials and judges. And though he says he cringes at the interview now, he does not regret it.

“It was my dream,” he said, “when I look back now and I cringe because I did go a bit far but if I didn’t go that far I would probably regret it. That just made me feel a lot of relief and people saw what I felt and I spoke my mind.”

Source: The Late Late Show/YouTube

Balotelli was treated like s*** by Klopp, fumes agent

McKinley pays tribute to reception received on his return to the RDS

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)