1. #BOXING The action will continue for Ireland’s Olympic hopefuls today in Turkey. After yesterday’s action, four Irish boxers are due in the ring in Trabzon. Lightweight David Oliver Joyce is one fight away from punching his ticket to Turkey and will meet Evaldas Petrauskas of Lithuania in the quarter-final today. If he wins he’s through.
Paddy Barnes faces Romania’s Stefan Cas-Iarov also knowing a win will be enough. Adam Nolan and Tommy McCarthy are down for appearances in Trabzon this afternoon. Nolan needs to reach the welterweight final to secure Olympic qualification while McCarthy must win gold to qualify.
2. #CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Bayern Munich clinched a dramatic 2-1 win over old foes Real Madrid at the Allianz Arena last night. The hosts opened the scoring through Franck Ribery in the 17th minute, but Real Madrid showed great resilience and pulled back a vital away goal through Mesut Ozil early in the second half. Bayern, however, assumed pole-position in the tie when Gomez slotted home a 90th-minute winner and they kept intact their record of never having lost to Real Madrid at home. They meet in the Spanish capital this day week.
3. #CHAMPIONS LEAGUE There’s yet more mouth-watering action tonight, of course. Barcelona are back at Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea. There’s been controversy when they’ve met at this stage before, you’ll remember, but at his pre-match press conference last night, Pep Guardiola insisted the Blues will not be motivated by revenge.
4. #CHAMPIONSHIP Reading clinched their promotion to the Premier League last night with a win over Nottingham Forest. Mikele Leigertwood 81st-minute goal was enough to seal a return to the English top-flight for Brian McDermott’s side.
5. #GAA Several clubs are expected to back under-pressure Meath manager Seamus McEnaney at a county board meeting tonight. It could be a late on.