The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 11 °C Friday 4 September, 2015

Fitzgibbon Cup: Champions UCC march into final

UCC ran out nine-point winners against UCD in this afternoon’s second semi-final.

UCC's Brian Lawton and Bill O'Carroll of UCD.
UCC's Brian Lawton and Bill O'Carroll of UCD.
Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

UCC 1-20 UCD 0-14

A POWERFUL SECOND-HALF display paved the way for reigning champions UCC to triumph in this afternoon’s second Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final clash in Carnmore in Galway.

A late goal by Waterford’s Brian O’Sullivan sealed UCC’s victory against a UCD that were unable to mount a response in the final quarter to their opponents.

O’Sullivan and Cork’s Conor Lehane were the tormentors in chief up front as they struck 1-11 between them.

The Lawton brothers, Brian and Barry, also caught the eye in the scoring department for a UCC team which also featured strong defensive showings from James Barry, Darragh Fives and William Egan in their half-back line.

UCC now go forward to face Mary Immaculate College, who they drew 1-13 apiece with in the group stages, in tomorrow afternoon’s final in Pearse Stadium. It promises to be an emotional occasion as UCC seek glory after their 2012 winning manager Paul O’Connor passed away last September.

The game was evenly-balanced for long stages. UCC, inspired by Lehane, had lead 0-8 to 0-4 after 23 minutes before UCD hit back with five successive points, three from Tipperary’s Noel McGrath, to edge in front.

A Brian Lawton point tied the teams at 0-9 apiece at the interval and seven minutes into the second-half they were still all square at 0-11 apiece.

UCD were able to field Kilkenny senior Cillian Buckley from the start while his county colleagues John Tennyson and Walter Walsh were introduced during the second-half.

But they could not swing the game in their side’s favour as UCC hit four points in a row to move 0-15 to 0-11 clear by the 42nd minute.

They maintained that dominance in the final quarter as they outscored UCD by 1-5 to 0-2 to have nine points to spare by the final whistle. UCD’s woes were compounded with the late dismissal of Conor Allis.

Scorers for UCC: Conor Lehane 0-9 (0-6f), Brian O’Sullivan 1-2, James Barry 0-3 (0-2f), Brian Lawton, Barry Lawton 0-2 each, Seamus Harnedy, Brian Hartnett 0-1 each.

Scorers for UCD: Noel McGrath 0-8 (0-8f), Conor Allis 0-2, Cillian Buckley, Paddy Murphy, Cathal Kenny, Domhnall Fox 0-1 each.

UCC: Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle, Cork); Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields, Tipperary), David Glynn (Dicksboro, Kilkenny), Killian Murphy (Erins Own, Cork); James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane, Tipperary), Dara Fives (Tourin, Waterford), William Egan (Kilbrin, Cork); Brian Murray (Bishopstown, Cork), Paul Haughney (Midleton, Cork); Seamus Harnedy (St Ita’s, Cork), Dan McCormack (Borrisoleigh, Tipperary), Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr, Cork); Brian Hartnett (Midleton, Cork), Brian O’Sullivan (Ballygunner, Waterford), Conor Lehane (Midleton, Cork).

Subs: Barry Lawton (Castlemartyr, Cork) for Haughney, Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh, Limerick) for McCormack.

UCD: Brian Murphy (Shelmaliers, Wexford); Jack Dougan (Kilmacud Crokes, Dublin), William Phelan (Dunnamaggin, Kilkenny), James Gannon (St Patrick’s, Kilkenny); Bill O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes, Dublin), Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes, Dublin), Shane Norton (Emeralds, Kilkenny); Cathal Kenny (Barrow Rangers, Kilkenny), Oisin Gough (Cuala, Dublin); Cillian Buckley (Dicksboro, Kilkenny),  Paddy Murphy (Éire Og-Nenagh, Tipperary), Domhnall Fox (Carnmore, Galway); Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney, Tipperary), Garrett Sinnott (Oulart-the-Ballagh, Wexford), Conor Allis (Croom, Limerick)

Subs: John Tennyson (Carrickshock, Kilkenny) for Bill O’Carroll, Walter Walsh (Tullogher-Rosbercon, Kilkenny) for Norton, Michael Brennan (St Patrick’s, Kilkenny) for Buckley.

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next:

Add New Comment