NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO
- The Netherlands beat Chile 2-0 to ensure top spot in Group B this evening, while Spain recorded a 3-0 victory over Australia before bowing out.
- The final fixtures of Group A kick off at 9pm, with hosts Brazil up against Cameroon and Croatia facing Mexico.
- Cristiano Ronaldo admitted Portugal aren’t good enough to win the tournament after last night’s 2-2 draw with the US.
Source: Marcio Jose Sanchez
- We picked out our best and worst XIs from the second round of group games.
- Former World Champion and three-time Olympian Derval O’Rourke announced her retirement.
- Tipperary against Kilkenny or Galway is the glamour draw in the hurling qualifiers.
- St Pats drew Polish champions Legia Warszawa in the second qualifying round of the Champions League.
- Helena Costa, who was set to become the first female coach in one of Europe’s major male leagues, will not take up her role with Clermont.
Source: Laurent Cipriani
- Japan broke into the top ten of the IRB’s official world rugby rankings after their 10-game winning streak.
- At Wimbledon, defending champion Andy Murray made an impressive start to his campaign in the men’s singles.
On the record
I’m very proud of our achievements during the past two-and-a-half years at Sligo Rovers, where we won three trophies, helping to put the club back on the map of Irish football.”
Having parted company with the Bit O’Red last week, Ian Baraclough speaks about his departure and the memories he leaves behind.
The best thing we shared
The Peruvian Primera Division? We love it, especially when it produces ridiculous goals likes this one.
Where we were today
Our man in Brazil, Mikey Stafford, is in Recife for the Mexico v Croatia clash.
Here is a view of the remote and isolated Arena Pernambuco, with added sodden Mexico fans,” says Mikey. “This weather will play havoc with some of the more ornate costumes I spotted this morning. One guy was dressed as some sort of Aztec god, with just some shiny silver chain mail covering his male parts.”
Source: Mikey Stafford
The fixture list
Tonight at 9pm, Brazil take on Cameroon and Croatia face Mexico in the closing games of Group A at the World Cup.
- Tomorrow, Group D concludes with Costa Rica v England and Italy v Uruguay at 5pm.
- Then Greece clash with the Ivory Coast and Japan play Colombia in the concluding games of Group C at 9pm.
- Day 2 of Wimbledon takes place, with second seed Rafael Nadal taking on Martin Klizan in the men’s singles, while Serena Williams battles with Anna Tatishvili. Roger Federer and Mario Sharapova also get their challenges underway.
Shaquille O’Neal and Laticia Rolle were in the Royal Box on Centre Court at Wimbledon as Andy Murray got his title defence off to a strong start.
Source: EMPICS Sport
Hurling: Once again, it’s good.”