Airtricity league round-up: Twigg rescues Rovers as Bray out-gun UCD

Your rapid fire round-up of all tonight’s Airtricity Premier and Division one results.

Philip Hughes celebrates the winning goal at Tolka Park.
Philip Hughes celebrates the winning goal at Tolka Park.
Image: ©INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan

GARY TWIGG PROVED to be Shamrock Rovers’ late hero as they were once again forced to come from behind to salvage a result.

A terrible mistake from Oskar Jansson helped Cork City into a 62nd minute lead.

Gavin Kavanagh’s speculative shot from 30 yards dipped in front of the keeper.

The bounce veered a foot to his right, but Jansson failed to react.

Things soon got worse for the visitors as Conor Powell saw red after a lunge at Gearoid Morrissey. As the hosts dropped deeper to protect their lead, the Hoops kept up the attacking threat through Kerrea Gilbert, Billy Dennehy and Daryl Kavanagh.

With the four allotted minutes of stoppage time already played, City could keep the champions at bay no longer and Twigg rose highest to direct his header low into the unguarded corner.

Back in the capital, UCD looked to be on course for a home win over Bray after two Graham Rusk penalties answered Jason Byrne’s opener.

However, within 19 minutes of Rusk’s second, Danny O’Connor had netted twice to seal a 3-2 win for the Seagulls.

St Patrick’s also recovered from a goal down, but had to settle for a point after Stephen O’Flynn failed to convert a second-half penalty. The sides were level at one apiece at both half time and full time, thanks to early goals traded between Conor Murphy and Dean Kelly.

The Louth derby was much anticipated, but turned out to be a damp squib as both Drogheda and Dundalk retreated with a point and their goal-line intact.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

Gary Twigg maintains Rovers’ unbeaten start. / ©INPHO/Cathal Noonan

The two remaining premier fixtures ended with tight 1-0 home wins. For Sligo Rovers Lee Lynch’s 76th minute screamer was enough to see off Bohemians. Shelbourne’s Philip Hughes netted their winner minutes before half time to send Derry back up the N2 with nothing to show for their troubles.

There were four games in division one and each one doled out all three points. A Gary Dempsey set-piece was just enough for Waterford to see off SD Galway. Athlone were frustrated for long periods by Finn Harps, but eventually ran out to 2-0 winners thanks to a fourth-quarter double from Noel McGee.


Joe Gamble got Limerick on the trail for a 2-1 win in Mervue. The home side fired a second half equaliser, but Shane Tracey found a 71st minute winner for the Shannonsiders.

Longford town also managed a 2-1 win away from home, they went in at half time level with Wexford Youths before Karl Bermingham nudged them ahead with 25 minutes to go.

As it happened: Cork City v Shamrock Rovers, Airtricity League

O’Sullivan says he will apply for the Munster job

About the author:

Sean Farrell

Read next: