Millwall's Shaun Cummings celebrates scoring the winner. Jonathan Brady
Knockout Blow

Leicester sent crashing out of FA Cup by Millwall, Man City left frustrated by Huddersfield

Middlesbrough also progressed to the last-eight with a win over Oxford United.

THIRD-TIER MILLWALL’S FA Cup fairytale continued this afternoon as they stunned struggling Premier League champions Leicester City 1-0 in a major fifth-round upset.

Having previously eliminated Bournemouth and Watford, the League One side added a third top-flight scalp by toppling Leicester thanks to a last-minute goal by defender Shaun Cummings.

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri made 10 changes to his starting XI, but Millwall had to play with 10 men for 40 minutes after Jake Cooper was sent off for two bookable offences.

It is the latest embarrassing result to befall Leicester, who lie just one place and one point above the Premier League relegation zone after a run of five successive defeats.

Huddersfield Town v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup - Fifth Round - John Smith's Stadium Pep Guardiola wasn't a happy man today. Mike Egerton Mike Egerton

Meanwhile, Manchester City face an unwanted replay in the last 16 of the FA Cup after labouring to a 0-0 draw at second tier Championship side Huddersfield.

Pep Guardiola’s side struggled to find any tempo against Huddersfield and must now try again at the Etihad Stadium to book their place in the quarter-finals.

A disappointing day all round for City saw unused substitute Raheem Sterling apparently targeted with a plastic bottle thrown by a supporter from the main stand as as he warmed up in the second half.

The bottle missed the England winger, leaving Guardiola to worry more about his team’s lacklustre display with star forwards including an off-key Sergio Aguero unable to break down the Terriers’ stubborn defence.

Middlesbrough v Oxford United - Emirates FA Cup - Fifth Round - Riverside Stadium The Boro players congratulate goalscorer Grant Leadbitter. Richard Sellers Richard Sellers

Elsewhere, Middlesbrough edged a thrilling fifth round clash with Oxford United 3-2 to book their place in the quarter-finals.

Aitor Karanka’s side looked to be heading for a routine win after establishing a two-goal first-half lead at the Riverside Stadium. Grant Leadbitter opened the scoring from the spot in the 26th minute after Stewart Downing had been felled, before Rudy Gestede netted an acrobatic volley eight minutes later. Oxford, though, refused to lie down and restored parity in spectacular style.

Chris Maguire hauled the League One hopefuls back into the game just past the hour mark, before Toni Martinez levelled matters less than a minute later. Boro, however, were to have the final say as Cristhian Stuani snatched a late winner for the Premier League outfit.

- © AFP, 2017

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Joey Barton was up to his old tricks today but somehow managed to avoid a red card

Clinton Morrison picks several Irish greats in his Fantasy Football Club XI

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.