Advertisement
Saturday 28 January 2023 Dublin: 6°C
Balazs Czagany/AP/Press Association Images
# Defiance
Massa brushes off rumours he's about to be sacked
The Ferrari driver looks set for a second successive season without a podium finish.

FELIPE MASSA HAS brushed off speculation Ferrari will sack him, claiming he has dealt with similar situations throughout his career.

Massa failed to claim a podium finish last year, becoming the first Ferrari driver to do so since Pierluigi Martini and JJ Lehto in 1992.

The 31-year-old Brazilian is on track to repeat the failure again in 2012.

But Massa remains unconcerned with the pressure as the media continue to name other Formula One drivers as potential replacements for him at Ferrari.

“For many people it seems like this is the first time this has happened to me, but it is not,” Massa told TotalRace.

“This has happened many times even before I entered Formula One where if I didn’t win the race there was no money for the next.”

Team principal Stefano Domenicali has admitted Ferrari need some points from Massa, who has just 25 for the year, to challenge for the constructors’ championship.

Ferrari are in fourth with nine races to go this year, 57 points behind leaders Red Bull, despite their star driver Fernando Alonso leading the world championship standings.

Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg, Heikki Kovalainen of Caterham and Sauber’s Sergio Perez are just three of the drivers that have been linked with a move to the Italian manufacturer.

Exclusive Six
Nations Analysis

Get Murray Kinsella’s exclusive analysis of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign this spring

Become a Member

But Massa has experienced this kind of situation before and believes he will remain in the driver’s seat.

“Every year there is something we have to deal with and get over,” Massa said.

“And this year I’m preparing and concentrating as much as possible to have a better second half of the championship.

“(I) will continue to drive for Ferrari, representing the flag of Brazil.”

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew charged by the FA for pushing linesman >

COMMENTS