Galway confirmed to host Shels in first-leg playoff as Division One league season ends

Two goals from striker Jake Keegan was not enough for his side to prevail at Eamonn Deacy Park this afternoon.

Vinny Faherty was in action for Galway today (file pic)
Vinny Faherty was in action for Galway today (file pic)
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

IT’S BEEN CONFIRMED that Galway FC will play the first leg of their Division One promotion play-off against Shelbourne at home, after they ended their campaign with a 2-2 draw against Wexford Youths today.

A brace from striker Jake Keegan was not enough for his side to prevail at Eamonn Deacy Park this afternoon, as goals from Dean Braoders and Andy Mulligan earned a point for the visitors.

Meanwhile, second-place Shelbourne also had to be content with a point, as they drew 3-3 against bottom-of-the-table Cobh Ramblers at St Colman’s Park.

Rob Waters gave the hosts the lead on 17 minutes, before a Roy Kenny penalty doubled their advantage four minutes later. Two goals in quick succession by Lee Duffy early in the second half brought the sides level, before Kenny restored Cobh’s advantage with another penalty.

However, Gary Dempsey was on hand 12 minutes from time to deny the hosts a morale-boosting win, as his flighted free kick found the back of the net.

Elsewhere, Longford Town — who had already been confirmed as league champions before today — ended their campaign on a positive note, as they won 2-0 at Finn Harps.

A goal from David O’Sullivan on the half-hour mark put the visitors in front, before a Mark Salmon effort made sure of the victory in the dying stages.

Finally, Shamrock Rovers B put a disappointing season behind them in impressive fashion, as they overcame Waterford United 3-0 at Tallaght Stadium.

Gavin Cooney
Reports From Qatar

Get Gavin's exclusive writing and analysis from the 2022 Fifa World Cup

Become a Member

A deflected Mark Sandford strike put Rovers on their way to victory after 29 minutes, before goals from Adam Whelan and Dylan Kavanagh either side of half-time secured a comfortable win.

Meanwhile, it was confirmed shortly after their game that Galway will be competing under the name ‘Galway United Football Club’ next season.

A statement from the club read: “The Galway FC Board of Directors are delighted to confirm that from next season the club will be competing in the SSE Airtricity League under the name Galway United Football Club. The club’s licence application for 2015, to be submitted to the FAI next month, will be made under the name Galway United Football Club.

“The Board recognises the importance of restoring and building upon the rich tradition and heritage of Galway United in the hearts and minds of both the footballing and wider community in Galway as well as further afield and looks forward in coming years to replicating the on-field success of this season’s campaign.

“In relation to matters on the field of play, Tommy Dunne and his team are totally focused on the first leg of the semi-final playoff against Shelbourne at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday, October 17th, with a kick off time of 7.45pm. The club wishes to advise supporters that FAI guidelines dictate that season ticket are not valid for this game.”

Moyes: Januzaj will become one of the best players in Europe>

Roy Keane not surprised by Poland-Germany result>

About the author:

TheScore Team

Read next: