McDaid on the double as Waterford get up and running in First Division

The Blues picked up their first points of the season with a comfortable home win.

Waterford FC 3

Cabinteely 0

Brendan White reports from the Regional Sports Centre

WATERFORD FC GRABBED their first three points of the new season after a deserved 3-0 win at home to Cabinteely at the RSC tonight.

Both sides had chances throughout the game, but the Blues made theirs count.

David McDaid had the home side in front after just four minutes, before Anthony McAlavey doubled the lead before the break. McDaid then added a second after half-time as the Blues ran out comfortable winners.

Waterford FC started brightly and were in front early on. Kenny McEvoy cut back on to his left foot to cross from the right side and McDaid made no mistake with a powerful header past Cabinteely goalkeeper Michael Kelly.

Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters looked to cause problems for the home side with two free-kicks just minutes apart. First, one from the right forced Kenny Browne to clear, before a superb 25-yard effort curled just wide of Ian McLoughlin’s far post.

Cabinteely continued to press and Waters looked most likely to make an impact. Another free-kick from the attacker was headed clear by Tom Smith.

Soon afterwards former Waterford midfielder Evan Galvin played a short corner to Anthony Dolan but his strike was blocked. The ball rebounded to Galvin but his dipping strike was just over.

The Blues began to take over again and Sander Puri went close with a driven effort. The Estonian picked up possession from Jake Evans’s corner, but his effort went just over the bar.

The Blues then doubled their lead on 34 minutes with a goal of real class. Brilliant work from O’Sullivan down the left saw him pick out McDaid who laid the ball for McAlavey. The midfielder made space on the edge of the penalty area before curling the ball into the top corner.

It was almost 3-0 on the stroke of half-time. McEvoy collected at the back post and he crossed for Tom Smith but he headed narrowly wide.

The visitors came out to attack in the second half and almost got a goal back but Waters’ curling effort dropped just wide of McLoughlin’s far post.

It was then 3-0 with a goal of real quality from McDaid. McEvoy found Mark O’Sullivan who in turn played the pass to McDaid in the penalty area. He took one touch to turn and another one to brilliantly fire past Kelly at his near post.

McDaid almost completed his hat-trick with a superb overhead kick. Puri crossed from the right side for McDaid but Kelly pulled off a great save. Straight down the other end and Doyle went close for Cabinteely, but he fired over McLoughlin’s crossbar.

O’Sullivan had a chance on goal as he looked to get on the scoresheet but his effort was well saved by Kelly.

The last 15 minutes had little in the way of clear-cut goalscoring opportunities as Waterford FC ran out 3-0 winners to pick up their first points of the season.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

WATERFORD FC: McLoughlin; Evans, Browne, Mulcahy, McClean; McEvoy (Daly 60), Smith (Comerford 81), McAlavey, Puri; O’Sullivan, McDaid (O’Halloran 71).

CABINTEELY: Kelly; Byrne (Ekanem72), Harney, Keeley, Knight; Ball (Watson 63), Lotefa, Dolan (Scott 76), Galvin; Doyle, Waters.

Referee: Robert Hennessy.

Other First Division results:

  • UCD 4 (O’Neil 7, 30 (pen), Scales 17, Kelly 23) Shelbourne 0
  • Wexford FC 1 (Fox 62) Athlone Town 2 (Viegas 34, Coss 45)

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Can Liverpool continue fine record against top 6 and the other Premier League talking points

Liverpool to get the better of Arsenal and 4 more Premier League bets to consider

About the author:

Brendan White

Read next: