Tuesday 7 February 2023 Dublin: 7°C
INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty Cavan's Eugene Keating and Derry's Chrissy McKaigue.
# Qualifiers
Cavan finish strong to knock Derry out of Championship in extra time
The Breffni county managed 1-4 in extra time after rescuing a draw within 70 minutes.

Cavan 1-22

Derry 0-19

A LATE POINT by Damien Reilly rescued Cavan against Derry in this evening’s All-Ireland senior football round 3 qualifier in Celtic Park.

The momentum gained from that score to make matters 18 points apiece was duly used to good effect as Cavan strode out to add 1-4 in extra time.

In normal time Mark Lynch looked to have hit the match-winner for the Oak Leaf County but they were pegged back by Cavan.

It had been a hugely exciting encounter in Celtic Park with Cavan having lead at the break by 0-9 to 0-7.

Derry who opened the game brightly as they raced into a 0-3 to 0-0 lead with Eoin Bradley pointing the way.

However Cavan drew level at 0-3 apiece by the 20th minute and the rest of the opening period remains tightly contested.

Martin Dunne tied the teams at 0-4 apiece in the 19th minute before Cavan forged ahead thanks to points from Martin Reilly and Jack Brady.

Derry cut the gap to 0-7 to 0-6 with six minutes remaining in the half but Fergal Flanagan and Dunne stretched Cavan’s lead to three points before Jamie Kielt had the final say of the first half with a point for Derry.

The second-half was a frenetic affair with Cavan looking to be in control when Martin Reilly and Eugene Keating sent them clear by 0-14 to 0-11 with 20 minutes remaining.

Exclusive Six
Nations Analysis

Get Murray Kinsella’s exclusive analysis of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign this spring

Become a Member

But Derry drew level thanks to points from Ryan Bell and Mark Lynch (2) by the 56th minute. Cavan went two points clear through Keating and Darragh McVitty at 0-16 to 0-14 before Derry tied the game again when Aaron Devlin and Lynch pointed.

The game ebbed and flowed in the finale with Emmet Bradley nudging Derry ahead with a 67th minute point before Martin Reilly scored for Cavan to tie the teams.

It then looked like Lynch’s free would be the match winner for Derry before Damien Reilly saved Terry Hyland’s Cavan team with a late point.

Young  legs proved valuable in extra time as points from Argue, McVittty and a superb long-range free from Reilly gave Cavan a three-point advantage at the turnaround.

With that gap, Derry were forced to throw men forward. Eoin Bradley pointed for the hosts, but Cavan were left gaps to exploit.

Brady found the first chance but could only blast his effort wide. Minutes later however, substitute Cian Mackey put the result beyond all doubt with an 86th minute goal to put five points between the sides.

CAVAN: Alan O’Mara; Tomas Corr, Rory Dunne, Killian Clarke; James McEnroe, Alan Clarke, Ronan Flanagan; Damien O’Reilly, David Givney; Cian Mackey, Jack Brady, Fergal Flanagan; Martin Reilly, Martin Dunne, Eugene Keating.

DERRY: Eoin McNicholl; Aidan McAlynn, Chrissy McKaigue, Dermot McBride; Charlie Kielt, Mark Lynch, Sean Leo McGoldrick; Patsy Bradley, Conor McAtamney; Benny Heron, James Kielt, Enda Lynn; Ryan Bell, Eoin Bradley, Emmet McGuckin.

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois)

Castlebar calling for London as they head west for historic Connacht final

LIVE: Galway v Armagh, All-Ireland SFC round 3 qualifier

Your Voice
Readers Comments