This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Saturday 20 July, 2019
Advertisement

Cavendish calls for 'vile' social media abuse to stop

The Manx Missile crashed out of the Tour earlier this week.

Image: AP/PA Images

MARK CAVENDISH HAS pleaded with social media users to stop abusing him over the disqualification of Peter Sagan from the Tour de France.

Sagan was kicked out after his elbow sent Cavendish crashing into metal safety barriers and down to the tarmac in Tuesday’s sprint finish to the Tour’s fourth stage.

Cavendish, 32, suffered a broken shoulder blade in the incident and had to pull out of the Tour, but he revealed in a video posted on Twitter that he has since been subjected to the ire of some social media users.

“Please know that it’s sport and I have a family,” he said. ”Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But vile and threatening comments on social media to myself and my family aren’t deserved.”

Cavendish said he was paying now for the “petulant” attitude he had as a younger rider.

“Unfortunately this will never leave me,” he added. ”But I’d ask you all to respect that and please not send threatening or abusive language to myself and my family.”

He also praised Sagan for both coming to see him after the incident on Tuesday and calling him later that evening, insisting that the two remain friends.

© – AFP 2017

‘The best teams learn their lessons in victory as well as defeat’

Butland hails Man Utd as ‘biggest club in the world’ amid transfer gossip

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (5)