Dublin: 8°C Thursday 19 May 2022

Cork City keep title run on track with win in Limerick

Garry Buckley and Billy Dennehy got the Leesiders off to a flying start.

illy Dennehy celebrates scoring his side's second goal.
illy Dennehy celebrates scoring his side's second goal.
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

CORK CITY CLAIMED bragging rights in the Munster derby at Thomond Park thanks to a 2-1 win over Limerick.

Goals from Garry Buckley and Billy Dennehy early in the first half were too much for Limerick to handle, and not even a consolation from Rory Gaffney could inspire a comeback as the Blues are now without a win in six.

City took the lead after 13 minutes when former Avondale striker Mark O’Sullivan outmuscled Sam Oji on the right hand side. He took a touch to set himself before squaring for Garry Buckley. The young midfielder shot past Ryan, albeit the veteran came close to denying.

It only got worse for Limerick moments later – the in-form Dennehy doubled Cork’s lead. It was O’Sullivan again who provided the assist. Charging down the right, O’Sullivan was in acres of space to find Dennehy. The Tralee native took a poor touch, but wasn’t penalised for it as the ball landed at his feet to finish second time around.

City proceeded to sit very deep — inviting Limerick on, but the Blues couldn’t muster anything of note in the remainder of the first period.

Stuart Taylor’s half-time team talk must have worked though – Shane Tracy found space down the right. He looked up and saw Rory Gaffney in the middle. With a pin-point cross with his weaker right boot, he found the head of Gaffney perfectly and the former Mervue man made no mistake in converting.

Stuart Taylor speaks to the match officials at half time Limerick manager Stuart Taylor speaks to the match officials at half-time. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Chances were really few and far between thereafter, both sides passing well without penetrating. The introduction of Danny Galbraith gave Limerick a direct option — his runs were the obvious danger for Cork.

It wasn’t until 10 minutes from time that Limerick would go on to have a real opportunity. Tam McManus lined up a free kick on the edge of the box — his strike was pure and looked to have McNulty beaten all ends up but the Cork stopper pushed it behind with the help of the post.

ohn Caulfield Cork’s manager John Caulfield salutes the fans after the game. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Cork City continue their march on the league title while Limerick sit second bottom.

LIMERICK: Ryan; Kelly, Oji, Folan, Williams (Nzuzi 8); Agyemang, Hughes, Duggan, Tracy (Galbraith, 57), McManus (Mann, 81), Gaffney.

CORK CITY: McNulty; Dunleavy, Murray, D Dennehy, Davoren; Healy, Buckley (Kearney, 76), Morrissey; Lenihan (Lehane, 69), O’Sullivan, B Dennehy.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan)

About the author:

Andrew Cunneen

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel